Chapter 1- Prepubescent Wasteoids

CAROLINE SAT UP EAGERLY IN HER SEAT AS THE CAR PULLED UP TO THE FRONT DOORS OF THE ARCADE

CAROLINE SAT UP EAGERLY IN HER SEAT AS THE CAR PULLED UP TO THE FRONT DOORS OF THE ARCADE. Her long brown hair hung over the shoulders of the sweater Lucas had given her a year ago. Will sat next to her, his feet bouncing in excitement.

"If anything happens," their mother, Joyce, was rambling in her usual anxious fashion, turning around so she could see the twins. "...if you need to come home, just ask them to use their phone and call home. Okay? Don't-"

"Don't walk or bike home," Will finished quickly. He glanced at the front doors, where their friends stood, waving. "I know."

"Okay, but, sweetie-"

"Mom," Caroline groaned. "We have to go!"

Joyce sighed in defeat. "Okay, okay. Have fun."

Caroline and Will leapt out of the back seat, waiting their mother goodbye as they joined their friends.

Lucas approached her right away, with his perfect dark skin and big brown eyes, and Caroline was glad for the darkness. He couldn't tell she was blushing. "Callie! What's your haul?"

"My mom wouldn't let me work," Caroline rolled her eyes, "So she just gave me a dollar's worth. Will got the same. But Olivia slipped me another quarter right before we left."

Lucas nodded eagerly. "Sweet!"

"Where are we headed first?" Dustin asked. "I say Dragon's Lair."

Caroline laughed, standing on her tippy toes to ruffle her friend's brown curls. "Trust me, no one has beat your top score. Let's go."

 Less than two minutes later, the party had congregated around Dragon's Lair. Princess Daphne's obnoxious voice came out of the machine. "To slay the dragon, use the magic sword!"

Dustin gasped dramatically. "Oh, Jesus! I'm in uncharted territory here, guys."

Caroline slammed her hand on the side of the console, making Will jump. "Down! Down! Down!"

Dustin was shrieking now. "I'm going! I'm going! I'm going! I'm going! I'm going!"

He was not going, and the party all began to raise their voices as one, yelling at their friend. 

"Shut up!" Dustin yanked the control and...