The Shot

Kings County Police Station.

Elyse sat in her car, staring at the sign on the building in front of her. A few people walk in and out of the building, paying no attention to her.

She finally clocks out of her trance and opens the glove compartment grabbing her gun and badge.

KC Detective.

Just like the sign, she stares at the badge. Her skinny fingers running over the engravings.

Knock knock.

She jumps at the sound. She turns and looks to see her coworker looking at her through the window, grinning like an idiot. She sighs and turns off the car. Opening the door.

"Not funny Shane." She says slamming the door holding her files in one hand while she clips her badge to her pants.

"It's a little funny. You jump when you're scared." He looks her up and down. "I don't think I'll ever be used to you dressin' up for work. A real business lady."

"Detective. A real detective." She says, fixing her suit jacket. She had to admit, the change of clothes was a nice fix for her. She was tired of wearing uniforms, seeing as she wore them a lot the past few years. She could only laugh knowing how much her sister would be annoyed by the fact that she still has to wear her uniform.

"Yeah, yeah, a real detective." He says walking with her into the station, immediately flagging down Rick, who's looking over some files at his desk, covered in pictures of his friends and family throughout the years.

"Whatcha got?" Elyse says, sitting on the corner of his desk.

"A woman, domestic abuse. Pretty standard." He says closing the file shut. "What about you, detective?" He says. Elyse rolls her eyes while nodding to Shane to go get them coffee. Reluctantly, he listens.

"Still working on the same meth lab/homicide a county over." Rick nods trying to say something until he's interrupted by Leon Basset.

"Looks like Miss Pretty over here's talking to pretty boy Rick. Watch out, you know how Miss Detective likes to get around." He announces to the entire station. Rick gets up quickly and Shane starts to stomp his way over. Elyse turns to both of her friends putting her hands up to stop them.

Emily, her sister who was just walking in whispered to Elyse.

"I got this."

She turns on her heel and walks over to Leon, and whispers something in his ear, making him turn as white as snow. With him distracted, she kicks his knee out from underneath him and knocks him to the floor, pinning him.

"Now I suggest you stop, or I might just have to go through with my offer, Officer." She whispers in his ear.

The two men and the rest of the station watch in awe. Everyone had to agree that Leon was an ass, but they never did anything about it. The thing that surprised everyone the most was how quickly it happened. Emily wasn't that big, she was tall and skinny. Yet, in the blink of an eye, he was on the floor.

She gets up and claps her hands as if she was touching dirt. She walks back over to Elyse and sips the coffee that was meant for her, making her way into Elyse's office. The three look at each other and follow as if she was handing out free money.

She sits down on the sofa in Elyse's office. Elyse logs into her computer. While Rick and Shane sit in the chairs in front of her. Shane putting his feet on her desk.

"You lady," he points to Emily, "I've loved you since day one."

She sips her coffee and shrugs. "Get your nasty ass shoes off her desk," she starts swatting at his feet as she gets up, making her way out of her office with Elyse who was on her way to get a new cup of coffee.