Bloodletting

Rick struggled to carry Carl while running to where Otis, the man that had shot Carl, directed him.

"Let me help," Elyse says her voice cracking while taking carls lower half and while running with Rick through the tall grass.

Rick didn't protest. He was covered in Carl's blood and was struggling either way. The hot tears running down his face didn't help either.

"Hey, you move, shithead," Shane said jogging a couple of meters behind with Otis, "Come on. Get us there."

"How far? How far?!" Elyse yelled back, urgency lacing her voice.

"Another half-mile that way. Hershel. Talk to Hershel. He'll help your boy," Otis says while pointing. He stops, panting, leaning on his knees, "I'm sorry," He says while looking at Shane.

Rick and Elyse run as fast as they can. Holding on for dear life, making sure Carl gets to Hershel. Both feeling a sense of hope wash over when they spot a farmhouse.

Thankfully, a woman on a porch was watching with her binoculars as the two ran with Carl.

"Dad!" She called out, realizing they were getting closer with no intention of stopping.

Rick and Elyse picked up their pace, watching as an entire family walked out onto the porch, and an older man with suspenders standing in front.

"Was he bit?" The man called out to them as they got closer.

"Shot. By your man," Rick said looking down at Carl and then back up, "He said find Hershel is that you? Help me. Help my boy," He cried.

"Get him inside," Hershel said. Elyse and Rick followed quickly after him, "Patricia, I need my full kit. Maggie, painkillers, coagulates-grab everything. Clean towels, sheets, alcohol," he pointed at the two to place Carl on a bed, "In here. Pillowcase," he demanded.

"Is he alive?" Rick asks, not listening to what Hershel needs.

"Pillowcase, quick," Rick didn't move, Elyse quickly grabbed a pillowcase off a pillow on the bed.

"Fold it. Make a pad. Put pressure on the wound." Elyse did as she was told, tears streaming down her face as she got a glimpse of Carl. "I've got a heartbeat. It's faint."

"I got it, step back," a hand on her back directed her away.

She stood next to Rick in shock, waiting for what's next.

"Maggie, IV," Hershel called out. The woman from the porch, Maggie, moved closer.

"We need some space," She said moving the two out of the way.

"Your names?" Hershel said not looking at them.

"I'm-I'm Rick, this is Elyse."

"Rick. Elyse. We're gonna do everything we can, okay? You need to give us some room. Now."

They both just stared. Finally, Rick moved, pulling Elyse with him.

Elyse turned her head to look out the window, seeing Shane run as fast as he can, Otis trailing behind him.

Rick saw him too, they both moved outside to the porch. Tears covering Elyse's face, while a shocked face coated Rick.

Blood soaked their fronts. Ricks, once tan Sherrif uniform had become a dark shade of red.

Elyse's black tank top seemed to become darker, almost as if she was doused in water. Her arms are stained with the same red covering Rick.

"He's alive? He's still alive?" Otis asked worriedly.