Chupacabra

"We need to talk with Hershel," Elyse said as she walked next to Rick.

"Yeah, we do," Rick said as his eyes watched the property, searching for the older man.

It was easy to spot him due to his white hair glistening in the sun.

Rick and Elyse quickly made their way over to Hershel, walking in silence next to him. Elyse looked back over the camp, watching as the group smiled and did their chores. They were happy with the setup.

"You need to reconsider," Elyse said, her hands on her hips.

"I beg your pardon?" Hershel said, a look on his face, already knowing what she meant.

"Asking us to leave," She said as she turned back around to face him. "You need to reconsider.

"If you saw what was out there, you wouldn't ask," Rick said, his voice hoarse. "You're a man of belief. If you believe anything, believe that..."

"You two are putting me on the spot," An annoyed look played on his face.

"Well, we mean to," Elyse said as she played with the drawstrings on her pants. "Those people look to us for answers. I wish they didn't, but they do."

"I'm not asking for them or myself," Rick said as he pointed to the group, "I'm asking for my boy. After the price your friend Otis paid, the least you can do is give it some thought."

"You're a plainspoken man," Hershel said as he looked at Rick.

"I'm a father," Rick said. "He's the one thing I don't want to fail," Rick took a seat on the porch steps. "I feel like I do every day." Rick looked down at his hands. "I lied to him this morning. It wasn't a big lie, but it was enough."

Elyse put her hand on Rick's shoulder to comfort him.

"My father didn't bother with comforting lies," Hershel said, "He used his fist. He was a loveless, violent drunk, and no good to anybody. He drove me from home when I was 15." Hershel looked out to the land, "Didn't lay eyes on this place again for many years. I was not at his deathbed, Rick. I would not grant him that, and to this day, do not regret it. Some men do not earn the love of their sons."

Hershel took a seat next to Rick on the steps, "I don't see you having that problem."

"Will you consider our request?" Elyse asked.

"There are aspects to this, things that I can't and won't discuss. But if you and your people respect my rules, no promises, but I will consider it. You have my word."

"You have ours," Elyse said as she shook Hershel's hands.

Hershel walked back into his home, giving the two a curt nod on the way.

Elyse watched as Rick played with the badge on his Sherriff uniform. The tiny engravings and divots somehow entranced him.

"I don't understand how you can wear that thing," Elyse said as she took a seat back on the steps, "Even when the world hadn't gone to shit, that uniform was uncomfortable."

"I like it," Rick said dully.

Elyse rolled her eyes and scoffed. She rested her hands in between her thighs, her eyes looking over the land in front of her; instantly, her body was at ease.

"Rick," Lori's voice called from behind them with the sound of a creaking door. "It's Carl, he went back to sleep, but he was asking for you."

Rick nodded at Lori and got up from his seat on the step. He put a comforting hand on Elyse's shoulder and squeezed it.