Cherokee Rose

The next day, the rest of the group arrived.

No one got to sleep the previous night. Even though Hershel said he would be okay, everyone stayed up to make sure.

The family stayed in Carl's room all night. Hershel came in a took his temperature.

"Fever's gone down," He said while Carl slowly started waking up.

"Carl?" Rick asked Lori on her feet next to him.

"Sophia? Is she okay?" Carl asked, looking around at the family.

Rick paused for a second, thinking. "Fine. She's fine."

"Rest. We'll be right here, okay?" Lori said, moving his hair off of his forehead.

"Okay," He nodded, closing his eyes and drifting off.

"They're here," T-Dog said, walking in, alerting everyone of the rest of the group's presence.

Everyone got up, making their way outside to see the RV, a small car, and Daryl's motorcycle.

"How is he?" Dale asked.

"He'll pull through, thanks to Hershel and his people," Lori said smiling, gesturing to Hershel, who was standing there, a questionable look on his face.

"And Shane," Rick said, "We'd have lost Carl if now for him." Everyone looked over to Shane, who looked completely different. He shaved his head and had on baggie clothes that once belonged to Otis. Not only that, but his aura changed as if darker.

Dale smiled and gave Rick a hug, Carol doing the same for Lori.

"Thank god. We were so worried," She said.

"How'd it happen?" Dale asked, looking at Rick and Elyse.

Rick didn't say anything, so Elyse did, "Hunting accident. That's all, just a stupid hunting accident."

Everyone who didn't get a hug from Carol at first got one. Even Hershel got one as a 'Thank You.'

"I know this may seem rushed," Hershel said, "But the man who helped save Carls's life last night passed away. I hope it's not much to ask you all to join the service in a short while," Hershel said.

"We'll be there," Dale said, answering for the group. "We'll all be there."

Everyone gathered around a large tree with a tower of stones. A barrel full of rocks to place more on.

"Blessed to be god, father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Praise be to him for the gift of our brother Otis, for his years, for his abundance of character; Otis, who gave his life to save a child's, now more than ever, our most precious asset. We thank you, god, for the peace he enjoys in your embrace. He died as he lived, in grace," Hershel turned towards Shane, "Shane, will you speak for Otis?"

"I'm not good at it," Shane said, "I'm sorry."

"You were the last one with him. You shared his final moments," Patricia cried, "Please. I need to hear. I need to know his death had meaning," she sniffled.

Shane cleared his voice a bit, "Okay, We were about done. Almost out of ammo. We were down to pistols by then. I was limping. It was bad. Ankle all swollen up. "We've got to save the boy." See, that's what he said," Shane said with certainty.

"He gave me his backpack. He shoved me ahead. "Run," He said. "I'll take the rear. I'll cover you." Shane looked down, sighing.

"And when I looked back..." He trailed off, "If not for Otis, I'd have never made it out alive. And that goes for Carl too. It was Otis. He saved us both," He limped over to the barrel, grabbing a stone, placing it on the stone memorial, "If any death ever had meaning, It was his."