t w e n t y o n e

It's been seven days. And do you know how many more members of our pack have died? Seven. That's seven pieces missing. The emptiness I felt inside only grew by the day. Perks of being Luna I suppose. Ha.

Liam let us know exactly what he wanted and exactly how he was planning on getting it. It was me, for some sick twisted reason he wanted me and he vowed to kill a pack member everyday he goes without the thing he wants. He makes me sick to my stomach. Even his name alone was enough to twist my insides and make my blood run cold.

Everyday there were pack meetings. I could tell people were starting to go into survival mode. Always watching their backs, always holding a weapon, and clinging to their children in fear of losing them.

"How in the world is this happening?" Sebastián sighs. He had dark circles around his eyes and the life in him has seem to have died along with his pack members. "We have the strongest border protection, and the pack house is invisible to humans. How the fuck is he killing us when he can't even see us"

"What if he's not human..." Beta Aleks suggests. Sebastián raises an eyebrow and looks at me for confirmation.

"I'm certain he's human or else I wouldn't have been able to get preg-" I stop myself, realizing what I was just about to say in front of all these wolves. "I mean what else could he be?" I question, acting as if I didn't almost just reveal my deepest darkest secret to everyone in the room.

"What if he's a vampire? That would explain everything" Amara suggests. I bite my lip nervously. Liam as a vampire? The thought highly disturbed me. If he was a vampire, his strength would be unmatched, even more than it already was. One man should never have that much power. I mean he'd practically be a killing machine, invincible, inhuman, and way too powerful for his own good. It just goes against the laws of nature...he can't be.

"It's a possibility" Sebastián admits, "I think Liam being a vampire is far more realistic than someone in the pack being a traitor and killing their own pack mates." There are nods all around the table, all of them agreed, including me. I mean there's no way a member of the royal pack would kill their own pack member I mean I simply wouldn't believe it. "Alright then it's settled, get in contact with all vampire clans and ask them if they have any member going by the name of Liam. They should be of help, we did sign a treaty after all."

A  "Yes Alpha" is heard from all the wolves in the room. Sebastián's authority would never cease to amaze me.

"Good" Sebastián gives a short nod, "you all are dismissed" At his word, all pack members start to file out the room. Soon I am left alone in the large meeting room, sitting next to my mate. We were alone together with only the company of some stray pens and pencils and scrap pieces of paper left behind or forgotten by pack members. I feel his eyes on me before I turn my head to meet his gaze. Fuck he's so fine. How can someone look this good after getting no sleep? Absolutely unbelievable.

"hey" he says in a soft voice, bringing his hand up to run his thumb along my face affectionately. "it's going to be okay, I promise. I'm going to protect you with everything I have" His eyebrows come together as if asking me 'you got it?'

"I know" I assure him, letting my lips form a soft smile that he returns. Adorable. "You're cute" I say very quietly, hoping that he wouldn't catch it.

"Who me?" He asks, looking genuinely confused. I chuckle.

"of course you silly" I lightly flick his forehead, making us both laugh.

"so you think I'm cute?" He raises an eyebrow in question. He had the most smug look on his face.

"mmmaybe" I tease.

"maybe?" he exclaims, "hmm that's not what I remember hearing before." he has the cutest playful look in his eyes. A stark difference from the lifeless gleam they shown just a few moments ago.

"oh shush" I blush, avoiding eye contact. I don't think I've ever really complimented him before, this is the first time. Wowza.

"Oh you are so in love with me Ms. Cristine Lacey" he announces proudly.

"yeah? so what if i am?" I reply defensively, crossing my arms over my chest and raising an eyebrow.

"Ah she finally admits it" He cups my face in his hands and gently kisses my forehead. "well lucky for you, I am also in love with you" He grins.

"I'm honored mister Alpha King" He scoffs as I jokingingly  bow my head to him.

"Cmon," He stands up, grabbing one of my hands. "let's go to sleep." I nod my head in agreement and allow him to lead me through the pristine marble castle to our room.

We both change and brush our teeth and such before cuddling into the ridiculously large bed of ours. I feel him arms snake around my waist and pull me closer to him until our bodies are pressed together.

"Goodnight Cristine" he sighs before burrowing his head in the crook of my neck and slowly falling asleep. His breath tickles my neck but despite the odd sensation, I find it comforting. Before I know it I too had drifted off. Falling asleep, safely wrapped in my mates arms, finally feeling at home.

I had no idea how or when it happened but I had completely fallen in love with the man I used to despise. I just really hope it wasn't some weird Stockholm syndrome type situation. I mean it can't be...we're mates...right?

Boy do I hope so.

But for once I was truly happy and content. I felt safe, and i didn't need to run away anymore. And it's all because of the man laying next to me.

This is the life.

I had finally found my one.

My home.