t w e n t y t w o

I watch as the sun shines through the greenhouse roof of the wonderfully alive garden. These days it seemed the only life I was able to witness was within these thriving green plants. As each day passes another person gets killed because of me.

"It's not often that I see you here Luna" A voice says from somewhere behind me. I turn to see Francisco, or Chico as he told me to call him. Dmitri's son who had been locked in a hospital until not too long ago.  I smile, it's been a while since I had seen his face, I wonder what he's been up to.

"You're right,  I don't come here often I just-" I sigh. Unsure of what to say. I could pretend everything was fine or I could tell him the truth. 

"Needed to get your mind off things?" He suggests and I nod in agreement. 

"Yes exactly" He sits next to me on the stone bench, setting his watering can on the ground. "I haven't seen you in a while Chico, where have you been?" I ask.

"Well, right here, in this garden." I raise my eyebrows in surprise. "this garden is my baby, these plants are all my children" He smiles looking at the beautiful greenery around him.

"You mean all this" I gesture all around me "was you?" he nods.

"I sort of have a bad reputation around this castle because of my past. This is the only place I don't face constant judgement." His words upset me. I never really thought about how hard it must be for him. Especially with all the rumors circling around. After all he was nicknamed the psychotic prince.

"Chico, can I ask you something?" He nods, most likely knowing what I am about to ask. "Why did you, you know, have to go to the hospital?" A sad smile spreads across his face.

"When my aunt and uncle died I was convinced my Father did it...crazy right?" he sighs "I was so hell bent on my Father being responsible for their murder that it drove me insane I started acting violent and even tried to kill him. But instead of punishing me he sent me to get help. I am forever thankful for that, he is the reason I am who I am today, the reason I am able to tend to this beautiful garden and the reason I am even still breathing." His words shocked me. I had a bad impression on Dmitri from the start but perhaps I was mistaken. He seemed to genuinely care about the wellbeing of his son. 

"But why were you so convinced it was your father who had killed the King and Queen?" I question. 

"One day, I saw him holding white flowers, hemlock, a poisonous flower but I was mistaken. It was merely sweet alyssum, I was so foolish, unable to tell the difference between two white flowers" He scoffs at himself. "That was the first time I ever misidentified a plant, and it was when it mattered most, I'm forever ashamed of myself"

"Oh Chico, I'm sure he forgives you" I reassure him. "And don't be so hard on yourself, sometimes I can't tell the difference between a three leaf and four leaf clover!" He looks at me dumbfounded.

"You're joking right?" He closes his mouth tight, doing his best not to laugh in my face.

"I don't have the best vision alright?" I exclaim, immediately causing him to burst into laughter. I hang my head embarassed.

"Wow-" He struggles to speak between laughs "You sure are something aren't you Luna?" He shakes his head at me smiling.

"My name's Cristine" I fold my arms in defiance.

"My apologies Luna Cristine" I lightly hit his shoulder for purposely adding the word "Luna" before my name. But either way I was happy I was able to talk to him, it distracted me for a moment, something I desperately needed.

☽♔☾

"No vampires have any members going by the name of Liam so that must mean he's doing all of this solo. They have offered a vampire proof spell for our border, since we do have a treaty signed" Sebastián announces to his pack members.

"So we will be safe?" Aleksander asks hopefully. Sebastián nods with a small smile.

"Yes we will be safe, we won't lose any more of our pack members" I watch as he cutely tries to fight back a smile of relief to keep his cool stoic face composed. "A witch will arrive tomorrow to help us by the name of Bralee, please welcome her with much gratitude and respect." 

'Yes Alpha's' can be heard from the wolves in the room.

He just said Bralee...or did I mishear him?  I do my best to keep myself composed and not get too excited. 

I wait until the pack leaves the meeting room before interrogating Sebastián.

"Did you just say Bralee?" I ask, my head snapping towards him in anticipation. He smiles.

"Yes I did minha flor" He absentmindedly tucks a stray piece of hair behind my ear, looking at me with such loving eyes, which makes my heart literally melt.

"Like...my Bralee...my bestfriend Bralee?" The moment he nods his head I squeal in excitement. Before I can give much thought to it jump into his arms. His warm strong arms envelope me instantly. "Thank you thank you thank you" I cry "I love you so much"

We both pause as we realize what I had just said. He puts me back on my feet slowly and looks in my eyes.

"You do?" He questions, his intense gaze making me sweat nervously.

"I mean...yeah" I feel as my face gets hot. He face brightens into the most brilliant smile I've ever seen as he once again lifts me into his arms only this time he spins me around in circles. 

"You have no idea how much that means to me minha flor" he sighs, his face nuzzled in the crook of my neck, his breath giving me goosebumps. "I love you too" My heart flutters at his words. Thank god. I let go a breath I didn't know I was holding and can't help myself from bursting into a smile.

"Good" I try my best to sound tough but my face gives me away instantly. I just could not stop smiling.

It seemed like everything was falling in place...Maybe soon there would be peace.