"here for the nosedive"

[ strange land - NIKI ]

this is a continuation to "write me letters in your spare time" ! enjoy :)

______________________________

"Where are we going?"

Alex held on to Willie like his life depended on it. Willie had snagged a lone scooter from the park and they were riding it together, much to Alex's dismay.

"This scooter is not big enough for the both of us. You know, we could've poofed anywhere but you insist on riding this tiny thing and the only reason I'm holding on tight is because--"

"Alex." Willie says his name so calmly, so assuredly, that Alex stops rambling and pays attention to his surroundings.

They've arrived at a beach, which is basically empty. This was rare because the beach is always packed.

"Which beach are we at....?"

"It's a top secret one. Tell anyone and I'll have to kidnap you." Willie bopped Alex's nose as they got off the scooter and skipped to the sandy ground. 

The summer air felt cool and prickly on Alex's skin. Even as a phantom, he still got cold easily, but he had forgotten to bring his favorite hoodie.

"Here." It was like Willie could read his mind as he handed Alex his turquoise hoodie.

"Won't you be cold?"

Willie shook his head. "I don't get cold much anymore."

The two of them walked barefoot on the sand, feeling the grainy particles underneath the soles of their feet.

Alex liked the quiet that surrounded this place. It allowed him some space to think, and to reflect.

After a few minutes, they sat down in front of the sea. Observing. Listening. To the soft ripples of the water before them. To the crows squawking in the pale blue sky, roaming in a flock.

"So. You wrote me a letter." Alex snapped out of his thoughts and returned back to where he physically was, beside Willie.

"Julie actually helped me get over my fear of writing."

"Really? Then I must thank her for it. You sure know how to write a beautiful love letter."

"There's more where that came from."

"I can't believe you wrote me one back." Alex said cheekily, after a beat.

"Is that not the proper way to do things?"

"I dunno.... All I hoped was for you to not laugh at me."

"Laugh at you? Over a letter?"

"Eh." Alex shrugged. Willie could sense his discomfort. Something must've happened in the past for him to feel weird about it.

"Ah, the things I do for you."

"And I love you for it."

Willie smiled. 

"I used to go here all the time when I needed a ... break from everything in the Hollywood Ghost Club," Willie started, knowing this was a heavy topic he didn't want to bring up, but knew he had to if he didn't want to keep anything from Alex.

Alex looked at him with his starlit eyes, motioning for him to continue.

"It's just.. weird, you know? To be at the club, and he's not there anymore. It's good, but people are wondering where he is."

"When I first met Caleb, I was so.. lost. I was pretty much a new ghost, like when you first met me, and I had all these questions to ask him because he was the first ghost that paid attention to me since I died. I thought.." Willie choked back tears. 

"Hey, it's okay." Alex stroked his back, hoping to calm him down. Willie grabbed fistfuls of sand in his hand, throwing them as far as he could.

"Trust. That's a funny little word, huh? You can trust me. That's a load of bullshit if I've ever heard it."

"If you don't mind me asking.. what exactly did he do to you?" Alex asked, inquisitive to know about this boy who was hurting, hurting so badly he didn't know how to fix it.

"He.. Well, he.." Willie struggled to find the words. Alex knew, in that moment, that no matter how strong someone may seem on the outside, there is always that one thing that can reduce them to a mere form, a mere ghost of themselves. 

"I tried to escape. Once. But Caleb knows everything. He always does. So even with a plan that I thought to be full proof, it just wasn't good enough to outsmart him. I was already chained to him through the mark, but when you betray him, he will basically go feral on you."

"I don't want to relive what happened, so I'm sorry if I sound really dodgy. But I went from being part of the club to being his lackey, to put it simply."

"But it's not as simple as that."

"No, it's not."

Willie heaved a sigh, unsure if what he just said was the right thing to say to Alex. Yet he was still there, holding his hand, right by him.

"I'm right here."

Willie nodded, feeling emotionally drained from recalling the worst moments of his dead life.

Alex planted a kiss on Willie's hand, and got up.

"Hey. I know one thing we can tick off my bucket list today." He took off Willie's hoodie and started walking over to the sea.

"Alex.. what are you doing?" Willie got up slowly, uncertain of where this was going.

Alex was about to say trust me on this, but thought better of it. Instead, he gave Willie a smile and started running towards the sea.

"ALEX!"

Alex started yelling all the way to the ocean, and jumped in.

SPLASH.

Bubbles. Muffled sounds. Blurry vision.

Alex brought himself back to the surface, catching a glimpse of Willie, whom for once, did not seem as enthusiastic to do something spontaneous.

"What are you waiting for?" he yelled.

Willie said something incoherently, hands waving haphazardly. Alex shook his head, signalling confusion. Finally, Willie gave up and started running to the ocean, screaming.

SPLASH.

Chortled laughter emerged along with Willie's head, and Alex laughed.

"Is this better than yelling in the museum?"

"Well, this can't compare to our first date." Alex blushed at first date. "But it comes pretty freakin' close."

The two of them bobbed silently in the middle of the sea, the sun setting just above them.

Pink and turquoise. Just like the colors they both felt acquainted to.

They didn't need to say a word. Everything that needed to be said had been exchanged. 

It's easy to say I love you. But it's after the I love you's that's important. It's the staying, and not leaving when things get tough. It's the listening to one another, and being there for them even when there's no words to help soften the pain. It's the in betweens, the small things you do for each other that make it all count. That make love worth it.

Alex knew Willie was worth it. He only hoped he could see it for himself.