"no excuses"

Song: NO EXCUSES - NEEDTOBREATHE

A.N. - The lyrics of the song don't matter as much for this one. I mainly chose this song bc Owen, who plays Alex, posted an acoustic cover of this so this is my take on if Alex was the one singing it (if it makes sense.) Enjoy <3

_____________________________

Willie and Alex gazed at the stars that blanketed the night sky. Neither of them were speaking aloud, letting instead the voices in their heads to take over.

The band had planned a weekend camping trip for a change of pace after a month of touring, having a week long break. They insisted Willie to come along, knowing Alex missed his presence after days of not seeing him. The two boys had spent the day catching up with one another whenever they got a chance. After an afternoon of hiking, Reggie, Luke and Julie were already in their tents getting their much needed rest. Alex, on the other hand, wanted to have some alone time with his favorite ghost.

Starry nights seem like a perfect time to spill their innermost secrets, but tonight all they wanted was to be in each other's presence. There was a comforting feeling knowing that someone you loved was right beside you, just being.

Suddenly, a shooting star appeared right in front of their eyes. Alex thought he must be dreaming, when Willie whispered, "Make a wish."

There were so many things he wanted to wish for, and he felt indecisive. Too late, he thought as the shooting star faded back into the darkness.

"Did you wish for anything?"

"No, I couldn't make my mind up."

Willie nudged the blond's feet with his own, smiling a little. "You're lucky I wished for the both of us."

Alex found himself getting crimson red everytime Willie started flirting with him, and this time was no exception. Thank goodness for the night that merely flashed shadows on his face back to Willie. Although Willie already knew he was blushing.

They went back to their peaceful silence, the crickets chirping every so often.

Out of the blue, a question.

"Alex, what do you do when you can't sleep?"

Alex pondered over this for awhile, though he didn't need to think that far. "I usually listen to soft strumming music, or acoustics in general. Why?"

"Just asking."

Alex heard a little hesitance in that response, and decided to be bold. "Would you like me to sing you to sleep?"

"Now?"

"No, tomorrow morning."

Willie chuckled at his dry humour. "Alright, give it your best shot."

Darn it, Alex thought. He didn't expect him to say yes. He thought of a song he listened to a lot, and decided to just go with it.

"I've got this feeling in my bones..."

When he was done, he looked over to Willie. He was sleeping sideways, facing him. A hand rested on one of his cheeks. He's adorable, Alex thought.

He thought tonight would be safe enough to fall asleep under the stars. He pulled out a blanket from the camp amenities box that he prepared, and lay half of it over Willie, giving the rest for himself. He wasn't sure if Willie would be okay with them sharing a blanket, when Willie's reflex to suddenly reach for him in his slumber startled him. He snuggled close to the beautiful boy, staring at his complexion. Stop being weird, he chided himself. He closed his eyes and started drifting off to sleep, knowing Willie would be there when he woke up.

From then on, whenever Willie had difficulty sleeping, he often turned to Alex to sing to him. Alex liked that he could be certain about this one thing, liked knowing that Willie counted on him for something. Willie, on the other hand, found comfort in Alex's soothing voice, and sometimes made up excuses just to hear him sing.

While the weekend camp didn't turn out as the group had hoped for, a new routine was formed between the two lovers. An ordinary night turning out to strengthen their relationship was something they never thought would happen, but it did.

Sometimes Willie wondered if the wish he made during the shooting star came true.

(In a way, it sort of did.)

__________________________