"attention."

Song - Attention. by Kiana Lede

__________________________________________________________________

Alex clenched and unclenched his hands repeatedly, hoping that they would be fine the next day. The band had a long rehearsal preparing for a big performance, and he was worn out.

Willie appeared next to him, his presence comforting the blond for a moment. "What's up?"

"Nothing." Alex felt extremely tired suddenly, as though he could collapse into a warm bed and hibernate for a few consecutive days.

"Wanna hit the streets? We could prank a couple of cop cars on night duty," Willie chuckled.

"Nah, I think I'm good."

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah."

"Your actions say otherwise."

"I'm fine!" Willie seemed surprised at Alex's outburst. He rarely snapped at him. Alex sighed. "I'm sorry. I'm just tired."

"That's okay. We can just hang out here."

Willie walked over to Alex's drumset, pretending to play it with his invisible sticks. This emitted a little smile from Alex, and Willie felt good knowing he could still make him smile on a bad day.

A couple minutes later, Willie felt restless. He wanted to do something, but he knew Alex wasn't in the best mood. Still, he tried his best to convince him to at least go for a walk. Ease his mind a little. Maybe that could put out Willie's sudden jitters.

"Could we maybe-"

"I told you, I'm just not in the mood to do anything tonight."

"It feels like you're not in the mood to do anything with me these days." Willie knew he shouldn't have said it. Alex felt like he was virtually slapped.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Well, you've been so busy with the band.."

"Yes. With the band. It's not like I'm purposely hanging out without you. We're working hard for an upcoming performance."

"So you're saying I don't work hard?"

"That's not what I meant and you know it!"

"You're basically saying it."

"Sometimes, Willie, you take the things I say too literally."

"Well, maybe you should learn to phrase your words nicely."

"Maybe you should learn to take a joke!" Alex runs his fingers through his hair in frustration, wondering how the conversation has gotten to this.

"Willie, I-" Willie poofs out, but not before giving Alex a crestfallen look that pains him to see.

Minutes later, Alex finds Willie near a beach they've visited before. Alex smiles at the memory of him and the band having a campfire here on a random Wednesday, the laughter and embarrassing stories exchanged throughout the night. He realises that it really has been a while since he hung out with Willie, and he felt ashamed of his outburst earlier.

"Hey."

Willie doesn't look up, looking forlornly at the ripples of waves before him, moonlight reflecting on the cold water, shimmering brightly under the navy blue sky.

"I don't like it when we fight." Willie finally says, playing with the sand absentmindedly.

"I know."

"I-"

"Ssh." Alex sits next to Willie, feeling the sand make its way into the spaces between his toes. Sand is the worst,  he thought.

"Whenever I overwork or overtire myself, I tend to retreat into my own space and try to gain back my energy as much as possible to avoid lashing out at people. I wasn't feeling my best today, and I took it out on you. I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry if I was being dramatic."

"You weren't."

"I just... I love spending time with you. And it sounds pathetic, depending on you to fill my time, but the way you gain your energy being alone, I gain energy being around you." 

Alex feels his heart warming at Willie's words. 

Willie finally looks up. "I promise to give you your space. But don't leave me hanging for too long, okay?"

Alex nods. "You know I could never be without you for too long, either."

Willie looks at Alex's calloused hands. He cradles them gently and plants tiny little kisses to soothe his boy's tiredness. "Better?"

Alex grins, feeling the butterflies in his ghostly stomach emerge once more. "Better."

The two of them take in the night, Alex resting his head on Willie's shoulder. Maybe they don't always have to plan and arrange too many activities to be with each other. Maybe sometimes, like tonight, just being next to one another was enough.