7 - of tiniest smiles and screaming parents

Adrian insisted on accompanying Charlotte home, so their departure had Mairi and Abel lost in their respective minds, leaving only the roars of the train to escort them.

Right now, all he wanted to do was to rest his eyes, but they decided to find appeal in Mairi's mini performance with her poker chip. Not even diverting his gaze stopped him from watching her.

Moreover, the suffocating silence slowly clenched his insides, as if it was forcing him to say something. No matter how much he tried sealing his lips, they gradually opened up against his will, trying to produce a word. Seriously, there's nothing to talk about. Why the hell am I feeling so pushed...?

"So, what stop are you getting off at?" Welp, in the end, there was no point fighting against curiosity. What a waste of energy.

"Braid. Right after this," announced Mairi, which pulled Abel's attention even more. Oh, that's where I usually get off for school...

When the train eventually reached her station, the veteran crossdresser sprang up and straight for the door before Abel could make a comment. She neither spared him a glance nor did she speak out, like she was downright ignoring him. Of course she's gonna act like that. Heh, after all, why am I building my hopes on her? She's just gonna ghost me like...

All of his thoughts quickly vanished into nothingness when Mairi suddenly turned on her heels. "See ya," she muttered loudly, barely taking seconds to further stump him. So she did acknowledge me...

It wasn't only her words that he managed to register, but also the tiniest details of her farewell. At first glimpse, Mairi's wooden expression refused to slightly budge, but upon closer inspection, her face... it didn't look so blank anymore.

Literal stars glittered in her purple eyes. Her sharp features loosened up as she showed him... one of the tiniest smiles he had ever seen. Her voice didn't sound so flat anymore, like there was at least effort put into it. And at that same moment, Abel was sure he wasn't hallucinating, because it was too realistic to be a product of his imagination.

This was the same Mairi he had known for years. She was that famous cosplayer who probably never learned how to smile, and whom Abel always vowed to maintain his distance. Why did it seem that someone like her was hoping to see him again? What the fuck is this? The end of the world?

Even as Abel walked back home, memories of Mairi's little scene at the train continued playing in his vision. His heart would then hop and thump hard against his ribs while a tingling sensation pricked his guts. Maybe, this was why he kept stopping in his tracks and stared down at his hands.

That damn Princess Charming. She seriously lived up to her character.

Wait... what am I thinking?! Abel furiously shook her head and smacked his temples. His body grew unusually hot as he hurled all of those lunatic thoughts away and straightened himself up. No, I can't be like this. I'm not getting swayed by her.

One fact he almost forgot: Mairi was his rival nonetheless, and she had thoroughly torn him apart during the cosplay showcase. She even bombarded him with stupid compliments so that she could lower his guard and carry out her schemes. It was clear she already deduced a plan to further reduce his dignity to oblivion.

She shouldn't be underestimated at all costs.

She might be clever, but the next time we meet, I won't fall for her tricks. Abel pondered, narrowing his eyes. I've got to outsmart her somehow... but then I've to see what she's really like.

While submerging within his mind, he eventually arrived back home — the place where the looming dread patiently waited for his return. Just looking at the house induced unwanted memories, stirring his urges to turn around and never look back. And now... I have to deal with this shit.