Giving In

Tooth...

I felt the familiar name sink into the darkest corner of my tormentous soul, filling my wonders with the thoughts of both fear and utter sorrow. I strangely felt the need to grieve, just for a second. To simply relinquish the feeling of a tear rolling down my cheek, or feel the weight of a log crack and crumble from my mighty strength. I needed release...I hungered it.

And the more I strained to resist it, the more upset I became. Not that it mattered of course, the dream was simply there to test my heart. Make me afraid as it was designed to do, or pressure what's real, and what's fantasy. Reality though, as I would soon realize, was just the tip of that iceberg.

SHIFT

SHIFT

I slightly opened my eyes, feeling the wet rocky ground slowly pull from underneath me. The world was vertical and dark, the only hopeful light coming from the vicious cracks of lightning that split the heavens in two. The clouds rumbled pleasantly from above, spearing the earthen creatures all around with the spoils of cool, crisp rainwater. I felt it everywhere - dribbling from my pale horns, running down my curved belly and into my many wounds, even between my armpits and rump. I've survived in rain before, many times in fact. But upon my side, like a carcass under nature's wrath, I felt subordinate, and desperate. I longed for this more than ever, taking the storm's treacherous weather as a plea - a way to exhibit her wonder and beauty - a sign that she truly did care.

My wounds, once overwhelmed with the scent and taste of blood, were now void of the ingredient. And those burning desires and growing rage were cooled down, hardening into stone. I'd slightly opened my parched beak, tasting the soothing liquid on my tongue and rumbled with an inner 'thank you' to the heavens. Alas, she couldn't help me with everything, all of Mother Nature was an aide. But her children had to fend for themselves, a problem I soon realized was put upon my hide at the moment.

SHIFT

SHIFT

There was a sharp pain on my tail tip, tightening and relaxing each time my body was pulled. I widened my eyes a bit more against the rolling storm, noticing one of the sharpteeth from the earlier battle tugging at the loose limb, pulling me closer and closer to the glow of a nearby cavern. Another wandered behind me and watched his friend struggle, never once coming across the idea of helping.

"Mwarr...This is the first good kill we've gotten in days, and you're just standing there like a rotten tree!" The puller hissed, unable to disperse the unfazed carnivore.

"I didn't say I'd help."

"Can you then?"

"You're almost there," He snorted back, barely moving in response, "Keep it going."

The sharptooth growled with annoyance, yanking yet again, part of his body and mine now in the cave. The third sharptooth- who had downed me also watched, gazing down at my body with a rather bland look. He didn't notice me awake for some reason, he just stared at my glowing horns, emotionless of course but as if in a trance. I stared into his eyes for a couple seconds, noticing a slight glow of concern and wonder flowing all around, only to seal this sight away when his attention turned south bound.

It wasn't long before the pattering rain vanished from sight, smell, and touch, now replaced by the eerie glow of something orange, and the foul smell of warm magma. Strange to find a cavern that sustained heat despite the cold mountains outside, but I thanked nature yet again for providing me another chance to heal.

My tail suddenly dropped to the ground with a wet thud from the carnivore's maw, before he uttered a question.

"Where do I-?"