Memories [Pt. 2]

My eyes narrowed in the glow of the rising sun. 

Each foot was spread outward upon the grassy soil, keeping a rather calm and steady stance. And both horns lowered, three spears heeding to the target ahead.

It would be assumed that I was sparring with another bull. But as the small foliage ahead of me began to shiver and writhe, I knew immediately who and what it was. What stumbled out first became a pinecomb, rolling into the center of my two feet, before one raptor pushed through the bushes, rushing after it. He snatched it quickly, before finally seeing my shadow and attempting to flee. With an annoyed snort I slammed my foot onto its tail, watching the raptor let out a yelp of pain and fall onto his side, hard. I drew close, staring down at the carnivore as it cowered beneath me. I had no intention on hurting it, but having seen enough roam around the territory one too many times, I figured it was best to avert some form of dominance.

"Our agreement," I snorted to it, tilting my head, "Remember?"

"R-Right," the raptor swallowed, staring down at his trapped tail, then back up at me, "I just thought-"

"Don't you know the territories, featherbrain?" I hissed, blowing a puff of steam in his face. The raptor swallowed, dipping his head twice.

"Y-Yes?"

"Then get out of mine!"

The raptor flinched as soon as my voice shook the ground and whimpered, bobbing his head. He pulled his tail from my grasp, flexing the crushed muscles in discomfort and slipped into the undergrowth with the comb as quickly as possible. I watched him flee, rolling my eyes as his body vanished in the foliage and snarled to myself.

"Wretched little raptors."

"They are, aren't they?" Livia called from afar, amused by the scene, "Come on, relax a bit. They aren't much of a problem here, especially for you. Besides I know we can both take them if the time ever does come."

"Yeah." I sighed, "They just don't listen to simple orders."

"They're hatchlings! And they didn't know you speak sharptooth tongue."

"Same difference," I huffed back. Livia looked to the ground, gritting her beak together and motioned to me with two taps of her tail.

"Sit by me. It'll do you some good."

"Is... something wrong?"

"No, nothing's wrong! I just want to be beside you."

I tilted my head in confusion. I didn't think sitting down would do me any good if nothing was problematic, but she seemed keen on something helpful, something I found interest in. I sighed before wandering over to the female three-horn, inhaling her salty scent with one soft purr, then turned to the right of her. She laid beside a large mound of earth, and with sat six glorious white eggs, shimmering like stars under the spring sun. I sniffed the eggs softly, nuzzled their soft little shells, then plopped down next to Livia with a weary exhale. She noticed my hide was very warm, perhaps even close to overheating and began licking my flank to cool me down. I rumbled in relief, now beginning to feel the aftershock of my night and daily routines and sighed.

"I've never seen you so exhausted before."

"It happens... often... How are the eggs?" I wondered, looking down at them, "Are they okay? Are they warm enough."

"Don't worry!" Livia chuckled, nuzzling the gleaming white pearls, "They're perfectly fine."

"Oh, okay." I nodded, resting my head again, "G-Good."