Turmoil

The meadow was an endless field of misery.

In spite of it's colorful appearance, condemned only by the strong waving strands of dying grass amidst the cold season, it held a depth of fear, wonder, and concern within me.

Not just because it was, but because of what it held.

Memories...

Dark memories.

Many times I have traveled into this place, both by force and by choice, and every trek into this sea of gold filled me with nothing but dread. I died here. I awoke here. I cowered here, fought here, and bled here. And now here I was again, running for my life by the very thing I hoped to prevent.

It didn't help that the three of us were humongous herbivores. The mud beneath us left easy tracks for those still seeking our hides, and our bodies effortlessly pushed and pulled the strands of nature away, leaving an even larger trail in our wake. If anything we were asking for a predator to find us. And the further we lumbered toward the smoking mountain range ahead, the more this thought began to bother me.

How long before they know? I began to wonder, slowing into a walk to catch my breath, How long before Shocker loses? It's been quite some time but...they're smart, they're strong, and there's oh so many of them. It's only a matter of time before they find us. And when they do...

I swallowed hard, already thinking about Wrecker and Rockhorn's fate. Wrecker had been by my side the whole way, protecting me, healing me, even sacrificing the love of his herd to trek beside me. And Rockhorn...well...he's just trying to survive after all he lost. I had nothing to compare to, nothing but a broken history of confusion and grief.

And now I've brought them into my story. Now I've put them in this...danger.

They're quite hellbent on protecting my tail, I grunted to myself, But how can I possibly protect them in return?

"C-Can we rest?" Rockhorn's voice called, his body only showing seconds later after connecting his trail with mine. His shallow breath was just as quick as his heartbeat, proof that fatigue was already getting the better of him.

And even I couldn't deny that.

Long have we lost sight of the forest we once thrived in, and despite being mere treelines away from the mountain's base even I was struggling to continue onward. We were all tired. But would they be?

I turned around slowly, staring at the bent trail we created and swallowed. It was too much of a giveaway, especially if the trail led from the forest to this very point.

"I don't think we're safe yet. We have to keep going."

The three-horn sighed, flaring his nostrils wide in annoyance, "H-How much farther then? I don't think I can go on like this forever."

"Just until we reach the mountains," I responded with a brief smile, "We're close, so no need to worry."

"I-I am w-worried!" He stammered, pawing at the soil, "N-No, I'm terrified! One already killed my herd! A-And now t-there's a whole pack of three-horn killers! T-They're faster than us, quicker than us, s-smarter than us-!"

"We have horns, Rockhorn," I muttered back after nudging his flank, "We are much bigger than them too. They should be the ones afraid of us!"

"But what if they-" He began to tremble, shaking his head frantically, "What if I-"

"If anything happens," I cooed softly, "whether they reach us or not, we stand our ground, together. Besides, I won't let them hurt you, not after what you've experienced."