Dream Fighting

"Hello?"

A female voice suddenly sank into my mind, veering me away from my subtle stare, and with a grunt I turned leftward, meeting her pink reflection and misty round eyes. I noticed her claws were pressed against my own, almost as if in comfort, and with a sudden inhale of confusion I pulled it back in. She looked a bit confused as well, and after a moment of utter silence between us I pulled out my claw again, feeling her paw rub back against the top of the flesh with a caressing stroke.

"Hey..." She tilted her head, gazing into my widened eyes, "Are you okay? You look...pale."

"Yeah I..." I frowned a bit, gazing at my chest with a snort of discomfort, "I...I have a strange pain on my underbelly. Must've slept on some rocks."

"Hm...Perhaps. You do shift around a lot in your sleep. But you look more disturbed than...hurt."

"Don't worry," I cooed back, turning my claw upside down to clasp with hers, "I'm alright."

Livia purred, nodding her head, then faced away to the sight of two male trikes battling one another. She didn't find it impressive, yet it intrigued her as to why they were fighting, let alone why they sought each other's flesh more so than their horns.

"Anyways, what's going on?"

"Courting rituals for some," I'd explain, "Males usually battle it out for dominance over another. It's a common trope in these parts."

"Doesn't the loser...leave?"

I shook my head slightly, "Not exactly. My father believed that everyone has a place in the herd. Nobody is ever removed simply because of a loss. If anything it makes them stronger."

"Is that all they're fighting for?" She snorted sharply, "Dominance?"

"It could be for a mate of course," I muttered, facing her curious eyes, "Or...preparing for the tournament for the position of herd-leader."

Livia blinked and her beak gaped in concern, "Is your father-"

I sighed softly, turning to face her soft glowing eyes and responded, with a nod.

"I'm so sorry..."

"That's alright. It...all happened so quickly. I didn't see it of course, I was just...told," I exhaled slowly, watching it slither away into the emptiness before us and dispelled the thought, "Alas, I think the herd was expecting it at some point. It was only a matter of time."

"Are you participating then?"

"Me? Oh, I mean..." I trailed off, feeling my stomach writhe inside at the thought of a duel, "I don't know. Do you think I should? I mean, Father never found me suitable for that position, he was more invested in my brother's talents."

"You know what I'm going to say!" She chuckled, nudging me playfully, "Don't hold back from something you know you should be a part of. And I...I don't want to force it for you but...I think it's a good opportunity to take."

"I mean yeah but..." I gave her a soothing lick across the cheek, watching her tail lift in between a purr and clicked horns, "I got you. And that's all I really need."

"Aww..." She chuckled, licking me back, "That's what I love about you. Well, one of several things of course. But as a friend, as a mate, and as a three-horn, I feel like you should try it."

I sighed, gazing at all the males ahead of me, all piled up in a corner. There weren't many in fact, but their buffness and strength seemed outmatched to my scrawny size, and their horns put a sense of doubt in my heart. Thistlehorn, my brother, was a part of the male pack, looking mighty confident as he eyed each of the competitors with a mocking snort. I looked at my own two horns, afraid for my life that I could possibly lose something valuable and swallowed hard.