Prologue

A little girl can be seen coming out of a school gate and she seems to be waiting for someone. Subsequently, a  motor car stops in front of her and a man steps out of it. In his late 20s and dressed up in formals, with checkered dress pants and a long coat billowing behind him, he advances towards the child. His eyes gain a certain kind of glint as he looks at her, mostly resembling relief. But his sure steps come to a halt when he sees her sulking face, with her face blown up and back half turned away from him. A sudden chuckle leaves his lips at her cuteness and he bends down to her level.

"I'm sorry", he says catching his ears. "Aaj ke baad pakka kabhi der nhi hogi."

But instead of replying, she turns to face him, makes a silly face and turns to face away again.

"Apne bhaiya ko maaf nhi karegi Bela?", he asks her making a puppy face.

"Nhi!", She acts adamant.

"Achcha toh phir thik hai, wo motor gadi mein jo chocolate ka dabba rakkha hai wo main tumhare Somnath dada ko de dunga", he says teasing her, knowing damn well that he has hit the right nerve.

"Chocolates!", she exclaims, turning to face him as all anger leaves her just at mention of her favourite sweets. "Shotti Anirudh bhaiya?", she asks in a squeal.

"Haan Bela shotti!". No matter how angry she might be, her Anirudh bhaiya knows exactly how to persuade her.

She quickly gets into the car and begins to devour her chocolates while Anirudh watches her with sheer fondness in his eyes. He chuckles at how she licks her lips and fingers while eating. This action provokes memories to play in his mind, and he is reminded of how she used to do the same while eating her favourite roshogulle. Remembering her, his smile vanishes and before he knows it, can even resist it, his eyes are glassy. He quickly wipes at his eyes, unnoticed by Bela.

"Toh chale?", he asks her before starting the car.

"Haan bhaiya chaliye", and with that he drives to the Roy Choudhary Haveli, standing tall and imposing as it ever has. With its beautiful front yard and splendid built. It had stood at that place in all its glory for many generations, showing off it's reputation as one of the most valuable possessions of the Roy Chowdhury lineage.

"Bela tum andar jao. Mujhe kuch kam hai, main sham tak ghar aajaunga", Anirudh says as soon as they reach the Haveli.

"Pakka na bhaiya? Sham tak aajayenge na? Aapko pata hai na meko apke bina achcha nhi lagta", Bela says in a moue.

"Haan Bela pakka ajaunga! Shotti!", he says pinching his throat, smiling assuringly as he does it.

She grins back in reply, satisfied by his promise. Waves her hand and goes inside frolicking and frisking, like the 8 year old she was, inside the haveli.

And gone with her was the constant smile that was lighting up Anirudh's face all this while. His smile dims and completely vanishes after a couple seconds. His features harden, eyes looking dull now, without the playful glint they had worn just a while ago and jaw sharp enough to cut stone. With a new destination in mind, he drives away.

"Your honour, I would like to call Mr. Rajesh Thakur, my client's younger brother, in the witness box", requested Barrister Om Ghosh.