sweet boyfriend (christian pulisic)

You gripped onto the loose strands of hair that fell out of your messy bun and tugged them. "Why can't I remember this?! I'm going to fail tomorrow's test," you slouched, on the brink of tears. You looked at your notebook- the blue and black ink spelled out words than you couldn't even string into a comprehensible phrase. Perhaps you were too tired, too stressed, or too overworked. You hated finals week- it was the worst. Instead of it being a time when you could simply regurgitate information, you felt yourself breaking down.

You heard the door open and glanced up for a second to see your boyfriend walk in with a warm smile. It dimmed a little when he saw your condition.

"Sweetheart, what's wrong?" he pouted.

"Christian, I can't do it," you started to cry. "It's just not making sense. We just learned it a few days ago and now it's part of the final. I don't understand."

Christian walked to your side and pulled you into a side hug. You hugged his waist tight. The scent of his musky, woodland-scented cologne filled your senses. It always was a comforting smell- it reminded you of a serene forest. You closed your eyes as Christian stroked the hair on your head gently. Then he pulled away, crouched down, and looked at you eye-level.

"Hey, I'm sorry you're feeling this way. I get sweats before big games. But, you just have to try your best. That's all you can do. How about you get up, take a break. Wash your face, breathe a little, then start studying again. Okay?"

You nodded. "But I have so much to do," you complained.

"It can wait. You still have a whole 15 hours before the exam. I am sure it'll help," Christian assured you in his sweet voice. You wiped your tears and went to refresh yourself.

When you came back from the bathroom, you were hit with the smell of onions caramelizing and spices roasting. You ran to the kitchen to see your boyfriend cooking. "Spaghetti for my lady. Sound good?"

"More than good," you let out a little laugh. You went and sat on the kitchen counter to watch Christian cook. "Do you need help?"

"Not at all, thank you," he replied as he kept stirring the ingredients in the pan. "You just relax." You smiled as you observed everything he was doing. It hit you that he just came back from training. He must've been exhausted himself, but he prioritized you.

After you felt your heart calm down a bit, you reached over to grab the notebook and started to just read it casually. Because you were more relaxed, it did make a little sense.

"You know, they say one of the best ways to learn information is to teach it to someone else. Teach me then," Christian suggested.

"Really? You want to know my boring university information?"

"Of course, babe. It's a part of your life. Why wouldn't I want to know? Plus, I'm not going to college, so I got to get information from somewhere, don't I?" You laughed at his comment and began sharing what you learned.

By the time you were done, the spaghetti was done too. Christian set out two plates and sat on the kitchen counter next to you.

"Not the best cook," he warned.

You took a bite and said, "It's perfect. Thank you."

You both ate your dinner and conversed about the day. Then Christian insisted he wash the dishes too, so you could focus on getting the material down.

"You don't have to. I can do it," you said. 

"Not a chance. I'll let you do it on a day I'm not feeling like it. Today, I am. You go focus." You couldn't argue with him, so you went back to studying.

After what felt like ages, you felt like you were done. You let out a deep breath of relief and looked at Christian, who was scrolling through his phone on the couch. He noticed you and came up to you to pull you into a hug.

"Remember, you are trying your best. That's all that matters. And no matter how you do on the test, it won't change the way I feel about you at all. I love you," Christian reminded you, as he placed a gentle kiss on your forehead.

"I love you so much," you replied. "Thank you for being the best boyfriend and constantly encouraging me. You are the sweetest."