Chapter 12

Najia's body ached from sleeping on the hard ground. When she was alone, she preferred to stop somewhere where she could make a decent bed for herself. The desert ground was less than ideal, but she knew she was already on thin ice with Shane. She figured, in the circumstances, she could learn to sleep on the ground. After a month on the run, it wasn't the first time she had done so. But she still missed the luxuries of her life in the city. She adapted only because she had to, but made every effort to make things as easy as possible for her. Including packing the car with every single useful thing she could find during her travels, and moving those items from one trunk to the next when she needed to seek out a new vehicle. She supposed she learned that from her father. Always be prepared - it was the boy scout motto, after all.

Shane, on the other hand, did not care for such luxuries. Of course, having luxuries were much harder when all you had was what you could carry. And Shane carried the bare minimum.

As Najia wired the car, she started to realize that she would likely need to adjust further still if she wanted to make it to Stardew Valley. While it seemed foolish to give up her supplies, they wouldn't last forever. Shane had obviously made it with the bare minimum; perhaps she would be wise to learn to do the same. But then again, the time hadn't come for such drastic measures. Why not enjoy what supplies she had for as long as she could?

Najia dusted her hands together and smiled as the engine purred. She let Shane climb into the driver's side and she slid in beside him. She pulled out the map from the glove compartment and found their estimated location.

"There's probably an old gas station up the main road, somewhere," she said. She traced the line on the map with her finger. "We could fill up a couple more tanks there it be set for a while longer. Assuming it hasn't run dry yet."

Shane shrugged. "Yeah, okay."

They drove in silence. Najia focused her attention out the window, trying to imagine the desert scenery passing in the daylight. It was likely just as boring a view as it was in the dark. She sighed loudly, but Shane did not acknowledge her.

"We need some music in here," she muttered.

"Too bad radio stations don't exist anymore," Shane remarked snidely.

"What if one did exist, though? Someone in some abandoned station trying to deliver an S.O.S."

Shane peered at her in his peripheral vision. "Don't you think the Shadow People would notice and capture them?"

Najia slunk back in her seat and crossed her arms. "You have absolutely zero sense of adventure."

Shane tensed. "You think this is an adventure?" His voice raised. "You think this is some game?"

Najia hesitated. "No."

Shane narrowed his eyes at the road before him as he continued driving in silence. Najia shifted uncomfortably before opening the glove compartment. She fished through the odds and ends she had secured in there, pulling out an old, tattered CD case. She smiled to herself as she zipped it open and flipped through the contents she had collected.

"What are you doing," Shane said quickly.

Najia selected a CD with the word 'mixz' scribbled in sharpie on the front and pushed it carefully into place inside the radio. It hummed quietly as it read the disk and the first track began to play. Shane groaned loudly as the song started, and Najia did not miss a beat as she belted out the song.

"I stay out too late!" she sang. "Got nothing in my brain! That's what people say!"

Shane rolled his eyes.

"I go on too many dates, but I can't make them stay," she continued.

"I can see why," Shane muttered.

Najia ignored him as she continued singing. She turned the knob on the radio and the music got louder.

"But I keep cruising. Can't stop, won't stop moving. It's like I got this music in my mind saying it's gonna be alright." Najia danced in her seat as she sang out the chorus.

Shane winced and, having enough, ejected the disk from the radio. Najia stopped dancing and stared at the disk as it popped back out.

"What did you do that for?"

"You're singing is as terrible as Taylor Swift."

Najia crossed her arms. "It's a fun, upbeat song. We could use a little fun in here."

Shane pinched his lips together but didn't respond.

"Do you have some beef with my girl T. Swift?"

"Please stop," he muttered.

"Fine," she said sharply. "What do you want to listen to?"

"Nothing," he said quickly. "No music. It will only draw attention to us."

Najia watched him closely for a moment before returning the disk to its case. She shoved it back into the glove compartment, humming to herself. She focused her attention on the dark road, leaning back in her seat with a sigh.

"Wanna play a game?"

"No." His voice was stern.

"Were you always this much fun?"

"Yup."

Najia rolled her eyes and turned back to the road. "I see. I bet the women flocked to you."

Shane said nothing. Najia turned back to him, eye brow raised. "Men?"

Shane shot her another angry glance.

"Both?"

He sighed loudly.

"I bet you had tons of friends with that charming personality of yours," she muttered.

Shane shrugged. "Maybe I did."

Najia scoffed.

"Can you really blame me for being Mr. Brightside?"

"You could at least make an effort to be happy at the fact that you're not the only survivor."

"Of all the people in the world to get stuck with," he muttered.

"Funny, I was just thinking the same thing."

"What does it matter?" he muttered. "We won't survive much longer. Might as well not get attached."

Najia sighed. "You're right," she said. "Might as well make this as miserable as possible for ourselves."

"Might as well."

"I don't buy it," she said. "There's some hope left in you. You wouldn't have made it this far if you didn't have some kind of hope. You're going after something; that's hope. Hope that something's still out there."

Shane was quiet. His knuckles whitened as he tightened his grip on the wheel.

"Fine," Najia said, sensing his tension. "I'm sorry. I'll leave it alone."

They drove in silence once more. Najia let her mind wandered as she stared into the darkness before them. It was still early in the day. Najia couldn't imagine another six hours in the car with Shane. She didn't know what was worse; the silence, or his bubbly optimism. She rolled her eyes to herself at the thought. She only hoped they would reach the coast soon. Maybe then they could part ways and she could make her way to Stardew Valley. If Stardew Valley even existed.

"Jas," Shane said, breaking the silence.

Najia turned to him, but he continued to focus on the dark road ahead.

"My goddaughter. And Marnie, my aunt." He hesitated. "We were separated when the attack happened."

Najia looked at her feet. "I'm sure you'll find them," she said quietly.

Shane shrugged. "I hope so."