Chapterish 35

[Quote Aesthetic of the Chapterish]

BEST LAID (PLANS)

It's my last day in Cape May. My last day East-Coasting it for a while. I find myself more and more annoyed at how fast time flies. Like, nothing's chasing it, so what's the rush?

With my flight out early in the morning, today is plan day. An all-daylong plan day. Everyone is coming over to finalize the itinerary for the Bahamas trip. Everyone except Trix and Travis of course, both of whom will be kept pleasantly in the dark.

I've already gone over the plan with Brooks and I'm going over it again in my head right now.

"Hey you." Brooks drags his feet across his old bedroom floor. Coffee cup in hand.

"And you." I rub my eyes.

"Should probably put some clothes on. They'll be here any second." Brooks sits on the mattress and I sink into him.

"Ugh. Clothes." I groan.

"Hey, if I had it my way, you wouldn't wear the clothes," Brooks laughs.

"Who picked 8 AM anyway?" I sit up, taking the coffee he hands me.

"Not me," he laughs innocently.

"Well, I'm still blaming you for waking me right now." I pull him towards me for a kiss.

Three seconds into what promised to be a great 8th-grade-envious make-out sesh, I hear tire on gravel.

"Cavalry's here," Brooks groans against my neck.

He stands up and heads to the door, staring at me with eyes wide.

"Clothes," I sigh. "I know. I know. I'm coming."

I toss on my leggings from last night and pull on Brooks's hoodie. Basically a hoodie dress, it's cool.

I shower with a quick spritz of body mist to cover up the lingering alcohol casually seeping from my skin. Bun hair don't care.

The kitchen tile is cool against my bare feet. Everyone is gathered around the kitchen island: Nate in his gym shorts as usual. Alex with his hand around Whit. Brody and Brooks twinning. A bag of bagels and cream cheeses sit on the counter. As tempting as they look, I'm drawn only to the box of joe.

"Hey girl." Meg nudges my shoulder, thumbs-upping my hoodie dress.

"Babe," I nod.

I can tell from her sweaty hair that she's already been on her morning jog. With Nate no doubt. What an active couple.

"Finally," Alex says when I settle at the island with my coffee. "Now that we're all here–"

"The best man will spill... the best laid plans." Brooks announces gleefully. Like some twelve-year-old finding a nudey mag.