Chapterish 48

[Quote Aesthetic of the Chapterish]

...

Brooks and I sit on the sand, oceanside. The others are curled up on afghan blankets and lounging on cushions made from towels, and swaying in the hammocks that the boys tethered between palm trees. A thin strip of palm separates us now, offering a thin veil of privacy. Muffled music mixes with the ocean waves.

I'm having an awe moment. Like, marveling at my life right now. Marveling at being stranded on a deserted tropical island with a group of my closest friends. And Brooks.

If you had asked me 10 years ago... Never.

"Sometimes it just doesn't seem real," I say, feeling extra truthful.

"Sometimes nothing else does. Feel real, I mean. It seems like everything else is just there. A jumbled background to the time I spend with you," Brooks says.

"A great line," I tease. Still, my skin prickles and the hairs on my arm stand in excitement.

"I thought so." The corners of Brooks's lips turn up.

I let the shimmering water hypnotize me.

"I think about it sometimes. Time. Us. It feels like those 10 years apart didn't even happen," I admit.

"Like we blocked them out somehow?" Brooks offers. "Like we graduated high school, blinked, and then woke up at that bonfire on the beach."

"Exactly," I laugh. "That damn bonfire."

"Let's not lose another 10 years, Ems." Brooks squeezes my hand.

I let myself sink further into him, the waves slowly etching us into the sand. My skin searches for the last bit of warmth from the sun. Cotton-candy clouds crowd the horizon, coloring it rainbow.

Brooks's fingers circle the white ribbon on my left hand. He plays with the tie that's hidden in my palm.

"You called me gold." Brooks's voice suddenly rings out. "You called me the gold you can't forget."

"Hmm. I called you still," I say, defensive. I don't take my eyes off the sky. "The still of the sunset –is what I said."

"That's not what I heard," Brooks laughs. His eyes twinkle in the sunlight. "I remember golden."

I laugh under my breath, eyes rolling. I focus on the salty water lapping at our toes.

"Fine. You're golden." I give in.

"I'm golden." Brooks repeats this like he's trying to taste the words.

My coral bikini is stark against his bare tan chest, sparkling under the opalescent light. It's more dazzling than the sea.

"I'm golden, but that's nothing." He looks at me.

Brooks's hands move up the length of my arms, glide over my shoulders, and rest on my neck.

"You are the entire sunset. Every hue of every color. The skies pale in comparison."

"Poetic and shit," I whisper into his lips.

I barely breathe before Brooks's entire mouth covers mine, gasping for the air that's inside my lungs. I melt into the sand, erode into the shoreline –into him.

"Bout ready to head back?" Nate's voice drifts along the beach.

"Yes, I'm exhausted!" Trix says.

"Dead tired," Meg seconds.

"Alright. Time to pack up and head back to the boat," Brody announces.

"Ugh," I groan.

"Come on, Ems." Brooks pulls me up after him.

We make the trek back across the pebbled beach and through the B list jungle.

The clearing sneaks up on us and I almost run into Brooks as him and Brody stop in their tracks.

"Shit, shit, shit!" Brooks curses. His fingers tear through his hair as he pushes it behind his ears.

"Can't be good," Meg says, planting her feet in the sand beside me.

"Where the hell is the boat?" Alex asks.

"I cannot believe this!" Travis laughs.

"CANNOT," Trix echoes. Her words linger in the dead of night.

"HA-HA OH MY GOD!" Meg laughs in hysterics.

Brooks and Brody curse under their breaths, but I can tell they're finding the same amusement as everyone else.

"That's what you get for picking this place," I say, shaking my head in disbelief.

"What I get?" Brooks asks, playful.

"You heard me." I wrap my towel tightly around my shoulders. It's dropped at least 10 degrees.

Lauren and Whit finally stop pacing long enough to walk over to where we're all standing. Lauren idly braids her hair and Whit applies a fresh coat of gloss to her sunburned lips. Nate and Alex stand with their backs to us as though looking for something to do. Trix and Travis are still in their giggle fit.

"So," I saw, chewing my lip. Everyone looks at me.

"So?" Trix raises her eyebrow.

"What now?"