Chapterish 16

[Quote Aesthetic of the Chapterish]

EIGHTIES, BABY

"Alright, everyone ready? OK. Come on, Nate, sit down." Trix says, exasperated.

She's cordoned us all into the kitchen. Brooks was right. There are bags and bags on the countertop behind her. An old radio boom box is present company as well. Cam is absentmindedly scrolling through text threads on her phone and Jack is flipping pancakes on the griddle. A stack of sweet confectionaries is piled high on the counter next to the maple syrup.

I refill my coffee mug with the dregs left in the bottom of the pot.

"So. I wanted a theme night. And since this is my mini-pre bachelorette party –whatever," Trix says, waving her hands. "We're doing what I want. And what I want is an Eighties Night!"

"An '80s night?" I ask.

"Yea –what?" Meg echos.

Trix spins on her heels, a sheet of long red hair fanning out behind her. The bags crinkle under her rummaging hands until finally she withdraws them holding a can of hairspray and a neon color sweat suit.

"You heard me," Trix squeals with delight. "These bags are filled with costumes and make up and John Hughes movies."

"And I made these," Travis admits, holding up a stack of old CD cases. "Inspired by the '80s mix."

Nate takes the top CD off Travis's stack; his eyes scanning down the back of the case. "Some of these are jams."

"Some?" Travis sounds insulted.

"So, everyone pick through what they want. There're plenty of choices. Only requirement is everyone dresses up!" Trix warns us.

Lauren shimmies around the marble island and sticks her hand into the closest bag. She laughs pulling out a permed hair wig. "Oh, I am so in."

"Party starts at 8 PM." Trix finishes her announcement. "Oh and one rule: NO PHONES!"

"What!?" I ask.

"Seriously. You're banning our phones?" Alex asks.

"You heard me. They weren't engrossed in their portable internet phones back then, and neither will we be! Leave your phones in your room," Trix says, fake stern voice on point. "Please and thank you."

Not like it matters. Anyone I would want to talk to is here right now anyway. Well, apart from the parents and Zöe. Zero other friends.

...

I've never seen so many themed outfits in two plastic bags before. We raided them after dinner and let the guys go their separate way to get ready. Not that men need the time to prepare like Trix says the women do. She's not wrong.