Chapterish 13

THE HIKE

It's noon now and the house is awake. The drunken introductions from last night are now my mundanely sober acquaintances of the morning. Everyone is packed into the great room. Whit sits on the couch arm next to Alex; she's dressed in a faded plaid pajama set and moccasin slippers.

Cam is already done up in skinny jeans and a dressy off-the-shoulder sweater that matches her auburn brown curls. Trix is dewy faced and wearing a white sweater dress over leggings. I'm sure it'll be a weekend of white. Meg sits across from me; my eyes read the name on her ratty band tee.

Travis's lean figure stretches almost the entire length of the rug. He's deep in conversation with Nate and Vin. Brooks is standing behind the breakfast bar tinkering with a speaker. Trix and Lauren compare wedding ideas. Though, at this point, Trix's is pretty much done.

"I can't believe how much it's snowing here," Whit says, voice full of awe as she stares out the window.

"We should all do a hike." Alex sweeps the room waiting for people to accept this plan.

"Do a hike? Can you do a hike?" Nate asks.

"Take a hike. Whatever," Alex grumbles.

"In this?" I can almost hear the horror in Cam's voice as she flips her hair over her shoulder.

Meg and I exchange looks across the couch.

"A hike sounds great," Meg says.

"Yea, I'm in." Travis stands up from the rug.

"Sure. Any trails around here?" Johnny asks. Sara sits beside him on the couch.

"A few. The property goes back about 50 acres to the lake. Tons of paths in the forest that way," Brooks says, nodding to the tree line visible beyond the deck.

"Perfect!" Trix clasps her hands together. "Everyone get ready and meet out front in a half hour?"

We all murmur in agreement and one by one people filter into the hallway leading to the bedrooms.

Brooks and I are quick to change. I pull on my looser fitting jeans and throw a chunky sweater over my silk camisole. A creamy beige scarf is tucked snuggly into my army green puffer coat. Snow boots laced and ready.

Brooks doesn't believe in outerwear –not proper outerwear anyway. His jeans are almost the same color as mine and his gray-black flannel is doubling as a coat. The top few buttons are undone, revealing the hollow of his throat. My fingers trace the edge of his white undershirt. I can feel his warm skin beneath it and I must admit it does look snug inside his flannel.

I want to curl up against his chest and fall asleep there.

"T-minus two minutes," Brooks says, swatting my hand away playfully. His calloused fingers pull the hair out of his face and into a red rubber band. I laugh at the short tail at the base of his neck.

"You almost can't do a man-bun anymore," I tease.

"I'll let it grow out," he says, grinning.

...

Everyone is bundled up and it's a good thing too. Cold air pierces my lungs when I step outside. I pull my hat as far down over my ears as it can go and watch Brooks tuck our thermos of hot coffee into his backpack. His cheeks are rosy pink and his lips soft and lush as ever. Maybe he's part Viking. Would explain his imperviousness to the cold.

"Lead the way, man," Alex says, clapping a hand on Brooks's back.

I let Brooks pull ahead, falling in line with Travis and Nate with Johnny and Alex in tow. It's already obvious we're about to be segregated real hard –guys vs. girls sport hiking.

"So are we gonna talk about it?" Meg asks, bumping into my side. A quizzical albeit judgy look is growing on her face.

"The wedding?" I offer.

"You know what," Meg insists, her voice low.

"She knows what?" Trix asks, sandwiching me on my other side.

"Just trying to have Em spill her guts. Come on, girl. Trix was there. I wasn't," Meg whines, folding her arms across her coat. She looks like a ridiculous pouting cotton ball. "Catch me up to speed."

I peer up ahead. The guys' heads are bobbing up and down as they start to climb over the uneven terrain on the forest floor. Whit and Lauren are just behind them; Lauren's yellow ponytail is like a beacon of yellow in the sea of white. I keep my eyes on it, focused. Even Cam and Sara are out of earshot now.

"Fine," I grumble. I turn to look at Meg and Trix, their eyes eager for dirt.

"Fine what?" Meg raises her eyebrow.

"We're together. Officially. Yea, yea, I caved," I say, rolling my eyes but laughing at Meg's open jaw and Trix's delighted squeal.

"You two love each other." Trix draws it out in a long singsong voice. It does sound oddly lyrical hearing someone else say it out loud.

I examine the pattern of my scarf and shrug. "Yea. We do."

They look at each other in disbelief.

"Wait, like you said it?" Meg asks, amazed.

"Yes, weirdo. We said it." I roll my eyes.

"Hard to imagine, that's all. Brooks is so –not open about his feelings," Meg says, shrugging.

"I know what you mean," I agree.

"I don't know. Sometimes I don't think you give him enough credit," Trix says convincingly.

"Maybe," I say, chewing on my lip.

Do I not give him enough credit? He is the one who said the L word first.

"Or maybe she just brings it out in him." Meg flings her arm around my shoulder. "Our girl. In love."

"Our girl. Admitting it." Trix laughs.

"That's enough." I say with an overly courteous tone. I lock my elbows with theirs and pull them along. "Let's go. We are falling behind."