23

A light was ahead. She swam to it, curious. It drew her in. Like a moth flying to a lamp. The closer she got the more she heard. A deep rumble, echoing in the dark antechamber. A lighter and muffled voice, warm and welcoming, following after. A sultry voice, breaking through their noise. And a steady beep beep beep bouncing into one ear and out the other.

The rhythm slowly melted into her reality until she found herself opening her eyes. Light flooded her eyes and then slowly melted away as her pupils adjusted. She looked around. She was in a hospital room.

She was tucked into bed, facing the ceiling. Her body was connected to different wires, and a breathing mask was attached to her face, forcing air into her lungs. The steady beat of the heart monitor taunted her from the side, mimicking what she found to be a calming tone when she was in the dark abyss.

She looked around the room again. A nightstand was at her left, and a large window let the light from outside flood into the room. Pressed against this wall were two seats with a small table in the middle On the table was a flower vase with a lotus flower placed inside. Across from her was a TV screen hanging on the wall. To her right was another chair beside a bathroom door and various electronics and other technology she didn't recognize. The door to her bedroom was open and the curtain that was used to grant her extra privacy was pulled back.

She rested her head against the pillow. Her head spun and thumped with rhythmic pain. Her eyes burnt. There was still a bitter and painful taste in her mouth.

She lifted a sore arm to her face and unmasked herself. Then she realized why she, a goddess, had been given an oxygen mask. Her chest felt heavy and uncomfortable and she let out a tight wheeze for breath. Is this what suffocation was? She panicked when she heard one of the monitors begin to beep and she fumbled with the mask as she struggled to place it back on over her mouth and nose. Once back on, she gave a relieved gasp for breath.

What happened to her? Why was she here? Where was everyone? Was Olympus attacked? Was Adiya okay?

Her thoughts were interrupted by Apollo stepping into the room. He surveyed the monitors first, finding everything back in order and took a confused gander at Hera. His eyes widened at the sight of her being awake.

"Ευχαριστώ τις Μοίρες," he sighed. He walked up to Hera and stood over her. "Can you hear me?"

She gave a nod. He began checking her vitals. He'd look back at her every now and then to ensure she didn't pass out on him again. Meanwhile she was trying to find a way to communicate with him. She was too tired to use her powers, and normally magic interfered with electronic equipment. Especially if it was medical technology. Hephaestus was still trying to discern how to stop malfunctions from occurring and what about magic started the glitches in the first place.

Apollo seemed to read her mind however, "Zeus was here earlier. He had to step out and inform the others in the council what happened."

Okay. What happened, dullard.

"Be patient. I'm getting there. Adiya said she'd come to see you soon when Zeus goes to visit the mortal world. She and Zeus have been...weird. Do you have something to do with that?"

Hera turned to look at Apollo confused, What do you mean weird. Can you speak in more than half assed sentences, please? You're a doctor and you're making me feel more sick than you are helping me.

"I assume you don't even know what happened. Well, you certainly gave us a scare, Hera. Zeus was carrying you across Olympus trying to figure out where to take you. You stopped breathing and he thought you'd be fine...then your lips turned blue. You were suffocating. Your body suddenly needed...humanly needs. Mortal needs. You threw up a couple times. Zeus eventually had to astro travel to me and when he did you passed out. You were flatlined... if you'll allow me to be vulnerable for a moment, it was terrifying. I never had to use a heart monitor before on an...immortal. And to have to use it on you," he went quiet. He gave a nervous gulp. "You-you were flatlined. I knew you weren't dead, you still had ichor flowing through you...it was the only indicator assuring me you were still immortal. It didn't ease my anxiety about the flatline...I don't know what happened if I'm being honest. We thought you were fading."

Hera flinched at the word "fading" and Apollo gave a nod of agreement, "When I got your heart to work again I was tempted to call Jocosia in hopes that she could keep you stabilized and confirm you weren't fading. I decided against it, I didn't have the heart to. But...you're awake now. Everything will be fine. You're fine."

He started to ramble to himself, assuring himself more than he was her. She watched him fiddle with gadgets and wires as he continued to mutter reassuring phrases. She was close to letting herself suffocate when there came a knock from the door.

Apollo turned to the door and there stood Adiya. She was dressed in a pink sundress today, but her cherry belt still hung at her waist. Her brunette locks were pulled back into a ponytail and she wore pink slip ons. She looked around the room curiously and then stopped when her eyes landed on Hera. Her lower lip quivered and her eyes brimmed with tears.

She rushed forward and gave Hera a gentle hug, "I'm so happy you're okay. I thought- we thought you were fading and I was scared that I wouldn't see you again. Zeus has been so mad, he thinks someone tried making you mortal. Oh gods, Hera, you're so cold."

Adiya pulled away from her and fixed the sheets around Hera, tucking her in and keeping her warm. She watched Adiya, entranced by her movements, as an overwhelming surge to cry washed over her. She forced herself to stay calm and lifted a hand to try and garner her attention. Adiya looked back at her, she reached for her hand and sat down.

"Yes? What is it?" Adiya asked carefully.

Hera looked over to Apollo, who watched the interaction. He nodded and answered what was on her mind, "A month. I had my work cut out for me, what with juggling you and Jocosia."

Hera gave a small nod and made a gesture of gratitude. She turned back to Adiya. They continued enjoying each other's presence. Adiya catching Hera up and Hera listening intently. Apollo observed, feigning to be writing notes on a clipboard.

He watched their hands hold each other, and Hera's gentle demeanor toward Adiya. The way they looked at each other. The way Adiya doted on her. He left the room quietly and stepped outside the door frame. He eavesdropped on them for a moment longer.

"Hera, I'm very glad you're okay. I've been feeling so...lonely."

There was a moment of silence andApollo peeked inside. Adiya was lying next to Hera. The latter held her, her hand caressing Adiya's hair. The two with their eyes closed.

He closed the door and locked it. He didn't care much for Hera, but she did for Adiya. He knew they'd get in serious trouble if they were caught together this way. And even if Hera deserved it, he didn't see any reason why he should get back at her. Besides, between Zeus' beatings and her recent brushes with mortality, he believed she deserved a break.

Even if it was fleeting.