18

Hera woke in Adiya's bed the next morning. She blinked a couple times as the morning rays fell through the curtains into the room. She looked around the room, finally resting her eyes on the woman laying next to her. Hera smiled in admiration and she hugged Adiya tighter. Her nose twitched every now and then and her skin seemed to glow in the morning light. Her hair shined beautifully and cascaded all around her pillow. She leaned up and kissed her cheek, inch by inch making her way down until she kissed the side of her breasts. She stopped there noticing her behaviour and began to sit up. That's when she realized something.

She fell asleep. She hadn't gone to her bed at all last night nor had she seen Zeus at all yesterday since their morning together.

And that pervert hiding in the bushes.

If that person had it out for Hera, the moment she stepped out of this room Zeus would have her head. She could already hear him. Accusing her of cheating. Calling her a whore. His fists landing on her body and his foot kicking her back when she finally collapses to the floor. The convulsions that would overcome her body when he'd strike her with a bolt. She closed her eyes. She steadied her breathing. She stood and dressed herself.

Zeus would have the upper hand again. If that were the case she needed to take care of Adiya now. As she combed her hair she saw Adiya stir in the vanity. She turned to look at her as Adiya sat up in her bed. She rubbed her eyes sleepily and gave a soft smile, "Good morning, Hera. It's nice to see you."

"Good morning. You look lovely in the mornings," Hera returned a smile. She wouldn't stress Adiya. The last thing she wanted was to upset her. She walked back to the bed and sat on the side kissing Adiya's forehead tenderly, "What would you like for breakfast?"

"Waffles and coffee, please."

Hera nodded and made her way out of the room, "Very well, I'll see you downstairs."

Hera peeked the door open, slipped out, and closed it. She gave a terrified sigh as she felt her chest become heavy again. Her breathing quickened her vision darkened. Her body wanted to collapse. Zeus will know. Even if news hadn't reached him. He'll know. She just knew he would. Would he hurt Adiya? Send her away? Would he force her own hand on her?

Hera's back slid down the door and she hugged herself. She began to hyperventilate and her throat stung as her eyes began to fill with tears. She and Adiya had never touched each other in a promiscuous way before. At least, not with the intent to sleep with each other. The only intimate thing they'd ever done was bathing and falling asleep together naked. Why was she so nervous about a damn sleepover? They didn't do anything wrong. But Zeus. Zeus wouldn't understand. Nobody on this mountain would. They'd label her as a hypocrite. They'd support Zeus, and if the news got out of another beating not even Ares would help her. They'd think she'd gone soft or worse.

She felt a tear slide down her cheek and her breath hitched. She began to tremble and her face flushed. In retaliation, she flicked the tear away and stood shakily. Just play it cool. Play it cool and deny the accusations. If she can get Apollo there she'd be able to prove her innocence. Just play it cool.

She walked downstairs to the kitchen and asked the nymphs inside to make a cup of tea and coffee. She ordered Adiya's waffles and her eggs. She stepped outside for some fresh air as breakfast was being prepared. The sky was overcast. There were faints signs of a drizzle. The flowers and trees turned toward her. They followed her as she walked to the fountain and bent slightly as she sat and hunched over, resting her elbows on her knees and her chin in her hands.

The world had no colour today. It seemed bleak and dull. She blinked to try and get it to return to it's normal saturation but her eyes began to sting instead. She was so tired. Her chest still held a heaviness to her that made her feel hopeless. What if immortality wasn't a big gift? What if she was condemning Adiya? Hera had felt one thing for the majority of her lifetime. Alone. She didn't want her to go. through the same. In fact, Hera felt distress right now. Why did she still feel this way? The most beautiful, magnificent person she had ever met was upstairs in her bedroom and yet, thinking about Adiya in that moment made her upset. The thought that Hera couldn't even say her name pissed her off and confused her. She growled and looked at her reflection in the water. What was wrong with her?

"Make up your mind! Do you hate her?"

No, I love her.

"Then why can't you say her name, you numpty!"

If I knew I would fix it, dumbass!

"Then figure it out,  you ninny! I'm not about to take the blame for your incompetence!" Hera glared at her reflection. Then she realized the ridiculousness of the situation and turned away returning to her previous position. She hid her face in her hands and groaned, "I'm losing it."

"I'd say you already lost it."

Hera immediately sat up straight and dropped her hands to her lap, clasping them together. She tried to recreate her veneer expression, but it was difficult to look sane after you just finished talking to yourself. She looked up at Artemis who stood at the gate of her garden. "May I?" She asked. "I need to speak with you."

Hera waved her hand and nodded. Talk about what? Oh gods, did she know? Was it her who spotted them? Or was this about something else? Whatever it was, if it was coming from Artemis it couldn't be good. Artemis stepped in. Her hair was done in its usual braid but she had a black top and combat pants. She tromped through the garden in matching combat boots and sat next to Hera. The two shared a gaze and Hera slowly tilted her head to the side, "Yes? What is it?"

"I saw you. You and her. Together at the river. Did you really think you'd be able to hide something like that, hypocrite?"