13

Thunder and lightning filled the room. Shouts echoed throughout the throne room making the deafening chaos even worst. Hera had been pushed out of the way by someone trying to stop the madness. She continued to watch the events unfold.

Poseidon was trying to reach for Zeus but he pushed his brother back with an electric field. He sent a bolt toward Ares who'd roll out of the way, leaving a black crater where the bolt had struck, and tackle Zeus. The two sent a volley of punches at each other.

Were the fates giving her a second chance? Were they trying to help her catch a silver lining? She didn't know. She stared in shock as she watched her son and husband brawl. There was a glimmer in Ares hand, he had gotten hold of Zeus' bolt and was ready to use it. That's when Zeus sent Ares dagger through his shoulder. Ares let out a cry, Zeus kicked him off and pressed down on his son's injured shoulder. He regained possession of his bolt.

Adiya called Hera's name; it jolted the queen back into the present. She sprung into action.

Her mind raced with a millenium old memory, punches. Kicks. Shouts. Curses. Hera pushing Zeus away from Ares and shaming her son for acting in such a way. Ares abandoning her, Zeus' rage against her that night for letting Ares get away without consequences.

She knew better this time. She would not make the same mistake with Ares again.

She pulled Zeus off of him, found the strength to push him away toward Poseidon, and stood in front of Ares protectively, "Enough!"

Ares perched himself on his elbows and hissed,"You're gonna defend him again, aren't you."

"Hush, Ares, you know full well you're not supposed to attack Zeus like this."

"I was-"

"I know. Thank you, as for you, Zeus." There it was again the same venom he heard before. Zeus looked around the room, no one spared him a glance of mercy. He looked at Adiya. She was in a corner, Demeter stood by her side, the two gave him stony stares. Athena wouldn't look him in the eye, she was kneeled next to Ares, she was tending to his shoulder wrapping it carefully in gauze. He looked behind him, toward his brother, Poseidon's eyes were cruel. He turned back to his wife.

"You are a king. Act like it, Zeus. You hear whispers, and you assume they're conspiracies against you. You hear the conflict of swords, and you assume they're swords being honed for a battle against you. You hear your name, and you assume it's apart of blasphemy. Look around, Zeus! What you do is trivial! Then, you turn around, torment our lives, and expect us to be fine. I've never minded, I'm your wife, I have to put up with you. But, do not ever lay a finger on my children again. I will make my wrath known to you, Zeus. And you only. No refuge in Olympus, Hades, or Earth will be able to hide you."

Zeus stared at his wife in awe, she hadn't just threatened him, had she? He stood up straight throwing Poseidon's arms off, he outstretched his now free arms and chuckled, "Hera. My love, our son needs a beating or two if he is to learn to respect me. He does not need you to baby him. Look at him! He's weak and pathetic. Look at the indecency of him, daring to make this sort of contact with Athena!"

"He is respectful, father! You're the one who needs to control your temper! It's expected from Ares being a savage of war, but your king of the almighty Olympian gods! These recent events: bringing a mortal to Olympus without making her immortal, choosing the well being of her over Hera, the retaliation of Ares' actions, these are points counted against you. If you keep on this path, you'll find yourself in the same position of Kronos, and you will definitely not be happy when the day comes to that," Athena stood beside Hera, the two had never really been on good terms, but something happened that day. That day, Hera was in charge. Zeus was the problem that day, and with Athena siding with Hera and bringing up points that Hera had always thought but never voiced, finally made the gods who hadn't seen the problem come to an epiphany.

Artemis went over and helped her half brother stand. Apollo gave him a soothing cup of nectar.

Zeus stared on in surprise, but eventually it turned into rage. He stepped toward Hera. She had caused this. She was going to be the reason of an uprising on Olympus. Make an example out of her, and the rest will fall in line. He will make them. He will make sure.

Hera could see it in Zeus' eyes. They turned dark with rage, as he lifted his arm, she turned away and braced for impact. There was a patter of feet and she felt a soft linen brush against her hand. Adiya's voice rang clearly through the throne room, "No!"

Hera opened her eyes, Adiya stood in front of her. Zeus had taken a step back. Adiya stepped toward him, "Zeus, that's enough beatings for one day."

Athena hissed at the mortal, "Don't be stupid. Move out of the way!"

"No! If he wants to beat someone, he should beat me! I trespassed into Hera's garden! She and I argued over it and I cry when I'm frustrated! Hera had a reason for doing what she had to, I stepped over a line and she got punished. I deserve to be the one getting beaten, and if you continue to hurt her, Zeus, I'll take my own life!" Hera's ears perked up, normally, she'd be happy, almost ecstatic to hear this, but at that moment, she felt something strange.

The world seemed to pale with her and time around her seemed to have stopped. Movement slowed down, there was no noise to be heard. Zeus and Adiya gave each other a tense stare, eventually Zeus said something and walked away. The others didn't know how to react. A few patted Adiya's shoulder and left. Others gave her a strange talking to. Hera could hear it in their voice that they were unhappy, but she couldn't understand their words. Ares kissed his mother's cheek, but she felt numb. Her vision blurred as she watched Ares and Athena leave the throne room hand in hand and immediately part when they stepped out into public.

What brought her senses back were Adiya's eyes staring into her own. Her hands rested on Hera's forearms. Hera was sitting and she could feel the backrest. When had she gone to her throne?

Adiya's sweet voice filled her ears, "Hera, are you okay?"

Hera didn't know. She was enraged. Adiya had caused this whole debacle, but by the looks of it, she did everything in her power to fix it. She was taking responsibility for disrespecting Hera and yet told off Zeus. Hera remembered the nothingness she felt when she stopped seeing, stopped hearing, stopped feeling. The snow in Russia had embraced her and she felt herself go at peace. She hadn't felt anything at that moment, no anger. No hatred. No love.

She felt the same way looking into Adiya's eyes right now. She heard her ask again, "Are you okay?" The sound of her voice was liberating.

She didn't want to feel that nothingness anymore, and suddenly Adiya's eyes gave her a different feeling. Her presence brought Hera to life. She did something she didn't think she'd ever do. She hugged the mortal.

"Don't you ever threaten your life again, you stupid Little Vex. I've grown to like you," Hera sighed. Her throat began to stung and her eyes welled with tears.

She felt Adiya embrace her. She whispered into her ear, "No. No. I'd never leave you alone, Hera. I love you too much to leave you like this."

They were alone in the throne room, but Aphrodite could hear them from outside. She could feel their warm embrace, the heat from each other's bodies mixing together in a welcoming way. She could see the glowing admiration Adiya held for Hera. She could smell Adiya's perfume Hera lovingly took in. She could taste the salt from the tears Adiya finally let out once she finally registered they were both alive and well.

Aphrodite turned back toward the throne room and smiled. Interesting, very interesting indeed, she thought. Then she frowned and looked back at Hera's office and across the street to the home she shared with Zeus. She looked back at the throne room with troubled eyes, Oh, please, take care of each other. You're dating the most dangerous god on Olympus whose willing to kill to keep everything the same. I give you my blessings, Sweet Adiya. And happy tidings, Great Hera.