26

Adiya accepted Poplar's offer for coffee. The young nymph gave a quick nod and drifted away from the living room to the foyer and disappeared behind the wall, leaving behind the scent of pine.

Adiya sat down on the leather couch behind her while she waited for Apollo to join her in his seating room. While she waited, her body turned to look at the stained glass by her left, a large abstract sun made up of yellows and oranges centered on the window. Surrounding it was another abstract design of a vine with purple flowers sprouting along it. As she deducted what type of flowers they were, Poplar returned.

Adiya gave her attention back to the dryad. She was tall and slender with brown skin and wavy white hair. Her eyes were a forest green, and they watched Adiya with curiosity. They never left Adiya's as Poplar placed the tray with her coffee, milk, and sugar on the glass coffee table in front of the mortal. Adiya offered a shy smile and whispered, "Thank you." Poplar gave a quick, "Mhm!" As she snapped upright. She wore a green crop top and a long skirt with a split showing her leg. "Would you like anything else, Lady Adiya?" Her voice chirped.

Adiya gave a slight cringe and shook her head, "Adiya is fine, Miss. No, I'm okay."

Poplar gave another nod and drifted out of the room once more. As Adiya added spoonfuls of sugar to her coffee, her mind raced back to Hera.

"You're going to give yourself... What is that thing called? That disease some mortals get - Die-beats?" Hera curled her lip at Adiya's sweet milk with coffee.

Adiya gave her a laugh, "Diabetes, Hera. And I'll be fine. I make sure to moderate everything else I consume. Besides, with the amount of walking you have me do it's difficult to get out of shape."

"Well, if you say so. I still think there's no point in you having coffee if you're going to make it whiter than Hades' skin. Maybe you should just start drinking tea," she joked; bringing the cup of tea she was holding up to her lips. The sun shone through the tall windows of the piano room and gently shined on Hera, making her skin and hair sparkle. The gentle glow of Hera's divinity added an extra bit of ephemeral beauty that only Hera could have. Adiya's eyes moved away from Hera to the window before them. Golden streaks ran down the glass, and through it, she could see the garden. They had set up a table with two chairs inside the piano room to escape the hot spring day while still enjoying it in the comfort of a cool ballroom.

She gave a sigh, one that filled her lungs and left her chest weightless when released. She felt a warm and slender hand over her own on the table after.

Apollo's footsteps echoed through the foyer as he finally entered the room. He smiled at her, and she stood out of habitual respect to the god. It was a habit she had been groomed to do since learning about Zeus' true identity. She didn't catch Apollo's offstandish look as he noticed her immediate attention. He raised his arms in gentle surrender and walked forward, showing he only wanted a hug. Finally lowering her guard, she reciprocated the motion, and the two embraced.

Once they separated, Apollo gestured for her to sit again, "What's up?"

"We need to talk," she said.