Chapter 1

It felt as if I were walking down a street that led to no where. I guess I should be used to it, Jupiter wasn't known for being accessible and everything was miles away from each other. But I felt extremely irritated
after walking all the way into town just to find out I couldn't afford nearly any food. I had walked about 2 or 3 miles just to get an apple, which I needed just to fuel myself for the trip back. Where am I going? There's no home I can return to that I can call my own and I carry all of my belongings in my bag, so I just lay my head wherever I can.

Losing my train of thought, I started to focus more on the growling pain in my stomach. When I couldn't handle the gurgling noise anymore, I went off the road and onto another, hoping it would lead me to a neighborhood with leftover food in trash bins.

After walking for a bit, I began to notice a large house in the distance. When I got closer to it, I saw just how beautiful it truly was. Classy and elegant, it was the only huge mansion I'd ever seen in the middle of Jupiter, Florida. Surely whoever lived here could spare to give me some food.

I walked up the white stairway leading to the door. Out of insecurity, I ruffled my skirt a few times and attempted to quickly groom myself. I was poor, but I didn't want to be perceived as a grubby beggar.

My hands trembled as I knocked on the door. This took me by surprise, and I realized I must be hungrier than I thought. Not too long after, a man opened the door, raising his eyebrow to question what I was doing on his doorstep.

"I'm sorry to bother you, my car broke down not too far from here and I can't find anyone willing to help fix my car yet. I haven't been able to eat all day, and I was wondering if you'd be willing to spare anything - It'd be much appreciated." I spoke with a sense of innocence that I truly lacked. Momma always told me it was wrong to lie, but I was entering the beginning stages of starvation, and I was running out of options.

"Oh, of course. Come on in, I'm sure we can find you something suitable in the kitchen," His words seemed sincere but his eyes said quite the opposite.

Out of my better judgement, I went on in anyway. My mouth was gaping as I admired the flawless design of the foyer, it was bigger and more beautiful than I'd ever hope to live in itself.

It was a bad move on my part, though. Because the next thing I remember is darkness.

When I awoke, I was startled at the fact that I was tied up in a chair. My immediate reaction was to thrash myself around in hopes I could break free. But, no such luck.

Instead, the man from earlier walked into the room, his bright green eyes focused on me. Eventually, he spoke. "I hope you know you're not helping yourself." He chuckled.

Still trying to catch my breath from my panic attack, I finally was able to respond. "Look, fancy pants, I'm not afraid of you. Just tell me what you want."

I prepared myself to be forced into pleasing some twisted sexual desire of his. Knowing it was the last thing I wanted to do disgusted me, but if it kept me alive, then so be it.

"You can stop with the tough act, I don't plan on hurting you. Mother wouldn't approve of killing a woman in our own home anyway."

This man lived with his mother? I began to wonder if he was lying, I hadn't heard a sound over the house since regaining consciousness and doubted if a mother would put up with her son manhandling a woman.

"Answer me. What exactly is it that you want?" I clenched my jaw in frustration.

"From the looks of it, you're in need of a place to stay and food to keep you alive. I knew you were a liar the moment you rambled on of your nonsense. Clearly, you're a runaway sweetheart who's living day by day. So I'm offering you a deal. Stay here, and convince mother that you're voluntarily staying under my care, and you'll get everything you've ever wanted. Or you can walk out that door, and if I don't kill you personally, your hunger will." He smirked at me, knowing he had caught me in a terrible position.

Did I really have much of a choice? As much as I hated to admit it, I knew he was right.

Swallowing my pride, I replied, "In that case, show me around, rich boy."