Chapter 13

Jimmy and Ethel treated me as if I were their own family, bandaging my cuts and marks and wrapping me up in blankets for warmth. Too weak to express my gratitude, I weakly smiled at them. They both smiled back, but I noticed Jimmy's face looked nervous.

"I'll make some soup, that should have you feeling better in no time," Ethel chuckled, "Well, I best be gettin' to makin' that soup now." She darted out of the tent, headed towards her cooking area, leaving me with Jimmy.

He looked at me with concerned eyes, his gaze never leaving mine. "Tell me everything, Lucy."

After a quick sigh, I whispered, "I think, I-I'm in love with the wrong man."

His brows furrowed, only for a slight second, then allowing me to continue.

"It's crazy, I know, but he's taken care of me when no one else has. It's not easy being the outsider, not being like everyone else. The world is shitty, and no one cares if you live or die. So despite meeting him under rough circumstances, I know he means well. Or, at least, he did." I stopped, not knowing what else to say. I've never been the best at expressing how I feel.

Jimmy shot me a pitiful look, as if I'd just ruined his day. Gulping, I managed to quiver out, "Jimmy, don't give me that look, please,"

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry." He perked up, playfully swatting his hands, "You know how I can get sometimes."

"It just wasn't meant in the cards," I mumbled, "We weren't."

"Besides, I know you've got a new girlfriend." I continued, giving a wink his way.

His eyes widened, "How'd you know about that?"

"Oh come on, you know I still have to sneak in to see the main act of the show every once in a while," I beamed, trying to make light of the difficult situation in front of us.

"Really, after all these years, you still come by?" He questioned, that childlike look in his eyes returning.

"Of course I do, don't you remember when we were kids, and I made that promise? I have every intention on keeping it." My mind went back to that day, not having a home in the cold winters of Michigan.

The famous traveling freak show was in town, and out of curiosity, I decided to go see it for myself. It was the best decision I had ever made, they fed me, gave me a home, and most importantly, gave me a family again. I remained at the freak show until I was of age, not wanting to free load off of anyone anymore because I was old enough to do something about my problems.

Or so I thought.

Accidentally ruining the touching moment, Ethel stumbled back in. "Okay guys, supper's all ready. You can come out with the rest of the crew, it'd sure mean a lot to everyone to see you again, Lucy."

"Of course, Ethel. I've missed you guys so much," Perhaps I was completely lying to myself, but I didn't care. Anywhere was better than being with Dandy.

(Guys I'm so sorry for uploading a filler chapter, but I'm having incredibly awful writers block on this fanfic. If anyone is willing to collaborate or offer ideas, that'd be fabulous! And of course I'd give them credit 😇 anyways, I will try to upload a better chapter when I'm done with exams!)