Chapter 6

Later in the day, Gloria's seamstress came to the house to take my measurements. I kept quiet, my thoughts becoming overcrowded. Occasionally, I would listen to the woman calling out numbers that didn't mean much to me.

"Height... is 61 inches," she mumbled as she scribbled into her notebook.

I didn't feel guilty for standing up to Dandy, actually I wouldn't even say I stood up to him. However, a part of me desperately wanted to make sure he was alright. Gloria insisted that I gave him space. I knew she was right, no good would come from another tantrum from Dandy.

There wasn't much to do with my time. I spent most of the day in Gloria's study, occasionally picking up a book and beginning to read it.

Something was bothering me from Dandy's mini meltdown - the fact that I still didn't know where I stood with him. What was I thinking? Of course there's nothing there, I don't even know my feelings for the spoiled Momma's boy.

Dying from boredom, I decided to find some sort of entertainment somewhere else in the house. Then, I stumbled across something very interesting.

"I'm sorry, mother."

Shocked the words had just escaped from Dandy's lips, I quickly hid behind a nearby door. Unfortunately, I was at an angle where I couldn't see anything but their shadows, not that it really mattered. I just needed to eavesdrop on their conversation.

Dandy's apology must have truly shocked Gloria's very existence to the core. I don't think she herself knew what to say.

"Darling, -"

She was quickly cut off by Dandy, blubbering in between sniffles, "I... I don't know what's wrong with me, mother. I'm not myself, I actually feel things. Do you remember taking me to the Utah desert when I had tuberculosis as a child? From that moment on, I always compared my soul to the emptiness of that desert. But now, where there was once dryness and nothingness, I feel something. Why is this happening, mother?"

All I could see two shadows in an embrace.

"Dearest, I know this is all so new to you. But please believe me, this is wonderful news. You're supposed to have feelings like this, darling. It's human nature."

Losing my footing, my trip caused the door I was standing behind to creak. I began to panic, scared I would be caught snooping in Gloria and Dandy's heart to heart, so I quickly left the room without a trace. I could feel the heat radiating from my face, embarrassed of myself for being so nosy. All I could do was pray neither of them took much notice in it.

Days went by and I hadn't heard much from either of the two. Living in complete isolation, I began to forget and that forgetfulness was replaced with an overall numbness in my body. I stopped counting my days of solitude after I had reached five.

The only time I didn't feel completely numb was when I thought about Dandy. When I did think of him, a cyclone of emotions rushed through my veins. On one hand, I couldn't overlook his faults and his exterior roughness. On the other, I saw beneath his darkness and could tell he truly was a diamond in a rough. Deep down, I cared about him and couldn't deny it. I tried to shrug off my thoughts, a rugrat like me had no business with someone as renowned as him, anyway.

Not too many days later, I finally heard from Gloria, who was looking more cheerful than ever.

Sitting in the next available seat next to me, she chirped up. "Lucy, darling, I need to ask a favor of you," she paused for a moment, continuing after I quickly nodded my head in approval, "I'm going to be out of town for the next week or so, and Dandy has requested to stay behind - with you that is. Will you look after him for me while I'm away?"

I couldn't say no, even if the next few days would be completely uncomfortable. I weakly smiled at her, revealing my dimple. "Of course, Mrs. Mott. Not a problem at all, actually it might be nice to get to know Dandy a little one on one." Or it would result in complete chaos, I thought.

"Wonderful! My cab arrives for me tomorrow at dawn, but for the meantime Dandy would like for you to join us for dinner." Although I was dreading the outcome of the next week, I knew I did the right thing judging by Gloria's joyful beam.

As she exited the room, I began to get ready for dinner. I searched through my newly-stocked closet for a suitable dress, until I came across a sunny, yellow gown that touched the ground. It was so extraordinary, I couldn't help but twirl around for a moment, living in my childhood princess fantasy.

Carefully slipping into a new pair of kitten heels that Gloria had recently bought for me, I tiptoed down the stairs and headed towards the dining area. As I opened the door, the first thing I noticed was that Gloria was no where to be found. The opened door must've started Dandy, because he attentively looked in my direction before realizing who it was. I watched his pleasant face turn bitter with disappointment. Trying to avoid his gaze, I sat down on the opposite side of the elongated table.

He didn't take his eyes off of me. His face was pouted, much like a child who doesn't get what he wants. But at the same time, his vibrant-green eyes were filled with rage.

I felt my heart rate rising and my breathing becoming shaky. A piece of me felt guilty for not being kinder to him, but how could I when he was being so cold? Staring back at him, I saw something is his stare that I hadn't seen before - sadness. He had learned to mask his pain behind an irrational temper and distancing himself from people. I didn't want to be one of those people to him.

"Dandy... I'm sorry," I managed to speak out, but before I could finish my apology, Gloria came waltzing into the room.

"Oh, how lovely you both look tonight!" Gloria gleefully squeaked out, "I'm starving. Let's get on with dinner, shall we?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(Hey guys, I'm sorry it took so long and that this is kind of a mushy chapter, the next will be much more interesting ;) I pinky promise!)