Your Ability

Benimaru opened the door to the 8th and caught the eye of Hinawa who happened to be passing by.

"Captain Shinmon, are you here to see Y/N?" Hinawa asked.

"Yeah, is she around?" Benimaru replied.

Hinawa motioned for Benimaru to follow him. "I'm headed towards her right now."

Soon the two arrived in the garage where you, Maki, and Vulcan were gathered in a small circle. You donned fireproof gear while Maki and Vulcan wore the usual orange jumpsuits.

"Come, Pusu Pusu, Mera Mera." Maki called. With a wave of her finger, two round orbs of fire came to life from a handheld lighter. She giggled as they twirled in the air.

"Fire Soldiers do not play with fire." Hinawa said sternly as he gripped Maki's head.

Her expression snapped to nervousness in a split second. "We're running some tests with Pusu Pusu and Mera Mera." She pleaded with her eyes for you and Vulcan to back her up.

"Yes, Lieutenant Hinawa I requested for Maki to use her powers." Vulcan spoke up. "We're testing Y/N's ability with her new gear."

A pause. "I suppose that is fine." Hinawa commented and let go of his vice grip.

"Okay, Y/N, try to raise the temperature of Maki's fire for as long as you can." Vulcan said.

You turned to Pusu Pusu and Mera Mera and put your hands out toward them. You concentrated on the core of their flames and willed for them to burn brighter. Their flames soon shifted from orange to blue. The change started with the center and slowly drifted out to the remaining tendrils.

"That's good. Keep it going."

The longer the flames remained blue, the warmer you began to feel. You fine tuned your attention to the flames and ignored the rest of the world.

Pusu Pusu and Mera Mera merged into one giant blue orb of flames. You kept maintaining the sphere for a minute then you dropped your focus. The flames sputtered until they reverted back into two separate orange orbs.

They floated back to Maki.

You wiped the thin layer of sweat off your forehead, turned back to face everyone, and realized for the first time that Benimaru was in the room. You couldn't read his expression.

"Nice job." Vulcan gave you a high five. "How do the new clothes feel?"

"Better. It's not as easy for me to feel too warm now." You replied as you pulled off your outer coat to reveal a tank top and shorts. "Thanks for making them, Vulcan."

Arthur and Shinra popped into the garage.

Shinra let out a shout of awe when he saw you. "Those look so comfortable. I didn't know that you were capable of making clothes."

"You mean undergarments." Arthur commented. "He made Y/N non sexy undergarments."

Before anyone could speak, Benimaru's foot shoved Arthur to the ground and kicked him repeatedly. Benimaru turned to Hinawa as he continued his kicks. "I had a sudden urge to squash a cockroach."

Hinawa pushed up his glasses as he replied, "That's understandable."

The bells of the church chimed twelve, signaling lunchtime.

"Let's continue after lunch." Vulcan said and strode out of the room. Everyone except you and Benimaru followed suit.

You started to pull back on your outer coat and was interrupted by Benimaru handing you his haori.

"Here," he said. "It's thinner than your coat."

"Thank you," you replied and took his haori. The haori itself was big for your frame but you managed to get it situated on your shoulders. It felt like you were enveloped in a hug by Benimaru and you smiled to yourself.

"Y/N."

Benimaru's beckon caused you to look up at him. He wrapped his arms around you and pulled you close in an embrace.

"B-benimaru," you yelped in surprise. You glanced at the door and hoped that no one would return or randomly pop in.

He let out a sigh against your ear. "Why did your breathing get so attractive?" He pulled back and looked into your eyes. "I want to see more."

A sudden wave of courage swept over you as you stared into his ruby eyes. "Why don't you invite me for an overnight stay then?" The words left your mouth before you fully processed them. You turned red and your palms began to sweat.

Benimaru hummed in amusement. "Would you like to go on a date or just come straight over to my room?"

"D-date," you mumbled. It was almost a whisper.

He smiled. "I'll take you on a date soon then."

------

A/N: Happy 2021!