The Summer Festival

Benimaru held up a hand in greeting as you bounded over to him. "You're here early." He slid his hand back inside his haori.

"I finished my paperwork and wanted to help out." You took in the view around you. Food stalls being set up, colorful paper dangling off of strings above your head, bands getting some last minute practice in. "Growing up, I've always looked forward to the food and fireworks at summer festivals."

Benimaru watched the enthusiasm practically radiate off of you as you spoke. He smiled to himself for a moment. "Come with me, I've got something for you to do."

------

"Lieutenant Konro, I'm done with my work." You yawned and rubbed your eyes.

"You've helped us out plenty already." Lieutenant Konro smiled at you and patted your shoulder. "Go get some rest before the festival."

"Thank you, Lieutenant." You smiled back at him and took your leave. It felt good to be among the buzz of people setting up the festival. To give back to something you once enjoyed so much.

The buzz of the cicadas continued on as you approached the guardhouse. You parted the curtains at the entrance and entered. It was empty and quiet.

You figured that everyone was out helping with the set up. You made your way up the stairs, already familiar with where the guest room was as you had already been there before.

Once you reached the guest room, you settled into the available futon. It felt cool to the touch and smelled like fresh linen. Something about it felt familiar and safe. Your eyes grew heavy as the afternoon setting sun. Before you knew it, you fell asleep.

------

You woke and stretched yourself out with a yawn. The dimness of the room made you realize it was almost nighttime, much later than you expected. You squinted at the clock on the wall— about thirty minutes until sunset.

Scrambling, you yanked off your clothing and pulled out a yukata from the closet. The yukata's light pink fabric stood stark against the darkness of the room. Patterns of cherry blossoms delicately adorned the fabric. It was not something you would regularly wear as part of the Special Fire Force. The girls at Company 8 helped you pick it out on a recent shopping trip. Just as you were about to slip the fabric over your shoulders, the door to the room slid open and you found yourself staring into a set of red ruby eyes.

At first Benimaru appeared confused and neither of you moved. Then as quickly as it had opened, the door slid shut.

"Sorry," Benimaru's voice with an underlying tone of exasperation came from the other side of the door. "I thought you were still sleeping. I came to wake you so you wouldn't miss the festival."

You tried to ignore the deep blush on your face as you got dressed. Your hands fumbled a few times but you soon finished getting dressed. You slid open the door and came face to face with an unexpected sight.

Benimaru stood on the other side of the hall with a hand partially covering his face and refused to meet your gaze. His ruby eyes remained focused on the ground.

"Sorry again," Benimaru mumbled through his hand.

You resisted the urge to poke fun at the rarely embarrassed captain. "Thanks for coming to get me." You smiled at him. "I think we have just enough time to see the fireworks. Sad that I didn't get to try any of the food though."

"Actually..." Benimaru cleared his throat and returned to his familiar facial expression. "I figured this happened and bought some food already." He held up a plastic bag that faintly smelled of the food you so looked forward to.

You started to salivate and your stomach rumbled.

Benimaru turned around. "Come on, I'll take you to a good spot to watch the fireworks." He led you outside and stopped next to his matoi.

You peered at him curiously, unsure of what he had in mind. Without warning, he scooped you up into his arms. You yelped in surprise and looked up at him. "C-Captain Shinmon?"

His expression remained unchanged. "I'm going to fly us over to a hill. It's faster that way."

You clutched onto him tightly. Your palms felt clammy against his haori and your heart drummed loudly in your ears.

"I know you're scared of heights. Relax. Just close your eyes. I'll tell you when to open them."

You closed your eyes, not daring to peek.

"Ready?"

You tentatively nodded.

You felt the wind around you shift. You came across a familiar scent. The same relaxing smell as the futon. You nuzzled your head against Benimaru's chest and wondered if he could hear how loudly your heart was pounding. You started to hear the ambiance of the festival that the wind carried over. The rhythmic drumming, the excitement of the crowds, and the endless cheer. The wind slowly began to die down with each breath you took.

"You can open your eyes now."

You did as told and saw Benimaru staring at you. Though he bore his usual expression, you sensed concern from him.

"You okay?"

The blush returned to your cheeks. "I'm okay."

He gently put you down on your feet and gestured out to the view in front of you. The lights and spirits of Asakusa shined brightly below.

He sat down on a nearby bench and you sat beside him. You reached for his haori and held onto a part of it. "We're pretty high up."

"Would you like to hold onto my hand instead?" He offered his hand to you. "I can still eat with my other hand."

You took his hand. It felt rough and was much bigger than yours. You watched him rummage through the plastic bag and wondered if he thought anything of holding hands.

"Here," he handed you a box. "I wasn't sure exactly what you liked so I got a variety of things."

You cried out in awe at its contents. "This looks amazing. Thank you."

He patted your head. "You're welcome."

------

A/N: Happy Friday, everyone!  Thank you to those who starred, commented, and added this to their public reading lists. It makes my day :)