Lunch

"Oi, Shinra, Arthur, I brought lunch," you announced as you found the two training with Benimaru.

Arthur perked up from where he was on the ground. "Lunch?!"

"I suppose now is a good time for a break." Benimaru said. "Arthur, Shinra let's take an hour break."

The two saluted Benimaru then trotted over to you. Their joy in their eyes outshone their disheveled appearances.

"Who made lunch?" Arthur asked. He practically salivated as you handed him his lunch.

"Lieutenant Hinawa did." You replied.

Shinra let out a cheer as he accepted his lunch. "Lieutenant Hinawa's cooking is the best! That's so nice of him to make us lunch."

You let out a nervous laugh, recalling the sharp look Hinawa gave you while he packed the lunches. "He said that it would help you both complete your training faster by preventing you two from squabbling over where to eat for lunch."

"That sounds like him." Shinra let out an equally nervous laugh.

"I, King Knight, am parched and will set out on a journey to find something to quench my thirst." Arthur announced. "Thank you for bringing my lunch, fellow party member." He gave you a salute before setting off.

"Thank you for bringing lunch, Y/N!" Shinra gave you a thumbs up before running off after Arthur.

That left you and Benimaru alone with the buzz of cicadas in the background. Benimaru was now seated on the outdoor patio. He looked at you.

You smiled at him and made your way over to him. "I brought you lunch too."

He raised an eyebrow. "Did Hinawa make that too?"

You imagined this situation many times over on your way to Asakusa. A way of giving Benimaru a homemade lunch without making it awkward. You bit your lip before continuing. "I made it. I was just practicing my cooking and had some leftovers." It was a lame excuse and you knew it. "You don't have to eat it though."

A beat passed before Benimaru responded. "Did you eat yet?"

You shook your head. "I came over here right after I finished cooking." You placed Benimaru's lunch next to him. "I should probably head back to the 8th to eat now."

"Wait." He took the lunch and motioned for you to enter. "Let's eat together."

A few moments later you found yourself alone with Benimaru in a room. You sat on a cushion on the ground in front of a low table. On the other side of the table was Benimaru. You watched as he opened the lunch you specifically made for him. You resisted the urge to fidget.

"A pork cutlet bowl? That's impressive." Benimaru commented. He split the meal in half and scooped your portion into another bowl, careful not to spill even the smallest of rice grains. He smiled as he handed you the bowl. "Thank you for sharing this with me."

A light pink blush appeared on your cheeks upon seeing his rare smile. You couldn't help but also smile. "I know that you don't like sweet things so I went for something savory instead."

"Your instincts were right. This is one of my favorite meals." He filled up your tea cup then reached for his chopsticks. "Itadakimasu."

Watching Benimaru take his first bite of your cooking still made you nervous even though Hinawa already assured you that it was more than edible.

"It's good."

Hearing Benimaru's praise caused you to release a breath you weren't aware of holding.

"You should eat some before it gets cold."

"Itadakimasu!" You cheered before you dug in. The pork cutlet tasted like how you envisioned and you were glad that you chose this particular meal. Though there was one remaining thing that you were unsure about. "If you don't mind me asking, why aren't we eating with the others in the dining hall?"

"It's a bit rowdy in there during meal times." Benimaru paused to take a sip of his tea. "I thought it would be better to enjoy your cooking in peace."

You beamed at him. "I'm honored." You made a mental note to later thank Hinawa for teaching you how to cook the meal. "Can you cook, Captain Shinmon?"

"Yeah, but I don't get the chance to cook that often. Everyone is always giving me food to share with the 7th."

You recalled how everyone in Asakusa was friendly around Benimaru despite his stoic demeanor. For a second, you wondered if other girls in town had been making lunches for him. Surely he would be popular among the ladies. You chewed on your chopsticks as you mulled it over.

"Why are you looking gloomy all of a sudden?" Benimaru asked. His gaze seemed nonchalant. "I can cook for you sometime if you want."

You smiled at him. "I'd like that."

———

You stopped near the entrance of the company building lobby, unsure if you should interrupt the conversation outside. You didn't mean to eavesdrop but their voices were loud enough to drift inside.

"Please take my bento box," a girl declared.

A pause. The gravel crunched underneath someone's foot as they shifted around.

"Ah, I can't really accept these meals anymore." Benimaru began. "I'm sure that Konro and the others would like them though."

After you heard the topic of conversation and Benimaru's words, you moved away from the entrance. You felt a bit jealous that Benimaru previously accepted and ate meals that were most likely prepped with romantic love.

Benimaru soon entered the lobby and spotted you sitting in the corner. He gave you a knowing look. "You overheard."

You didn't meet his gaze. "Why are you turning down their meals now?"

"I want to eat your cooking instead."

The answer caught you off guard and you looked up at him in surprise. "Even more than Konro's cooking?"

"Maybe."