The Escort Home

"Are you really taking Y/N back on your matoi?" Konro asked with an exasperated sigh.

"Yeah. What's wrong with that?" Benimaru responded. He shifted the matoi he held onto. "It's faster than walking. Plus, you insisted that I take Y/N home even though she's perfectly capable of taking herself home."

"Waka." His eyes bore into Benimaru with a sudden fierceness. "I'm suggesting this for your sake."

Benimaru scratched his head. "If you say so." He shifted his attention to you as you emerged from the hallway. "Ready?"

You nodded, bade goodbye to Konro, and followed Benimaru to the backyard. You felt your cheeks warm as he picked you up and took off into the night sky toward Company 8. You watched the wind stroke his hair and noted how his ruby eyes glimmered against the moonlight.

"You don't seem so afraid of heights anymore." Benimaru commented. He looked down at you.

You smiled at him. "Because I look at you instead."

He scoffed and pulled his gaze away. "Please."

You giggled. "Please, what?"

"Stop moving around so much. I might accidentally drop you."

"Benimaru!" You pulled yourself closer to him.

"I'm kidding." A brief smile danced on his lips.

You rested your head against his chest and listened to the beat of his heart. The sound lulled you into a state of calmness. It felt as if you could fall asleep if you wanted to.

Soon the two of you arrived at Company 8 and he set you down on your feet. You looked at him and was unsure of what to say. You didn't want him to leave so soon. You thought about inviting him in for some tea or perhaps a late night snack.

"Y/N?" A voice called out to you.

You turned to see Hinawa rounding the corner and waved to him. "Lieutenant Hinawa."

"You said you were meeting with a friend today. Why are you with Captain Shinmon?" His gaze on you was unwavering.

You breathed out a nervous laugh. "He's the friend."

"I see." He entered the company building without another word.

Benimaru crossed his arms. "What's his problem?"

Your nervous laugh came again. "He can get kind of protective sometimes."

A beat passed.

You broke the silence. "Thank you for taking me home. Good night, Captain Shinmon."

He smiled at you. "Good night, Y/N."

------

A/N: I have a question I gotta ask. Do you all think Benimaru or Kurono would win in a fight? I'm honestly not sure 😭