Sunset Stroll

"Y/N," Benimaru waved you over.

You hopped over to him with a smile on your face. "Captain Shinmon."

"You have the day off tomorrow, right?"

You nodded with a smile still on your face.

"Would you like to take a stroll with me tomorrow evening?"

"Of course," you beamed.

He smiled at your enthusiasm. "Let's meet half an hour before sunset."

---

As you strode up to Company 7's building, you caught sight of Benimaru standing outside of it. He leaned against the building and seemed to be waiting for someone. He nodded at you once he saw you and met you halfway.

He stared at your outfit and you felt self conscious under his gaze.

"Is it strange?" You asked. You wore a black casual summer dress that had a v-neck cut and ended a bit below the knee. The dress was more form fitting than your usual orange jumpsuit. "I can change and come back if you'd like."

He shook his head. "It looks good on you."

You lightly blushed, still not used to his compliments. "Thank you."

"Let's head out."

---

Benimaru sneezed. That was about the fifth sneeze in the last fifteen minutes.

"Are you alright, Captain Benimaru?" You asked. You addressed him formally as you weren't if others were around in the garden. The two of you stood on the side of a path lined with wisteria trees.

"Not really, no." His expression mirrored his reply. "I didn't realize that I was this allergic to flowers."

"Perhaps we should continue our stroll elsewhere?" You held aside a vine of fully bloomed wisteria flowers that almost brushed against his face.

"I'd like to stay here if you're enjoying the flowers."

"The flowers are okay but I'd rather much you not be miserable." You began to usher him out of the garden. It felt a bit ironic that the strongest Fire Soldier was nearly brought to his knees by pollen.

After spending some time breathing in pollen free air on a bench, Benimaru gained the strength to speak again. "You don't love flowers?"

You tilted your head in confusion. "No? I mean they're okay."

Benimaru sighed. "I wasn't sure what you would like so I asked Konro for advice. He said that most girls liked flowers and suggested we stroll through the garden."

You placed your hand over his. "I appreciate that you made the effort to ask Lieutenant Konro. I don't really mind what we do as long as we're together."

He turned his hand and interlooped your fingers. To passerbys it appeared as if the leader of Asakusa merely sat beside someone while gazing off into the distance. A light breeze rustled his hair. 

You felt the urge to run your hand through his hair. "Do you want to get some yakitori? My treat."

He looked up at you with a smile that carried a sense of relief and contentedness. "Soon I will know the way to your heart as you do to mine."

A/N: Happy holidays everyone! Hope you're all safe and well.