First Kiss

"I told Granny to stop making these," Benimaru grumbled in between bites.

You plucked another daifuku from the white snowy mountain on the table. "Yet you're still eating them," you bantered back.

"Her efforts shouldn't go to waste." His gaze shifted from you to the cherry blossom trees outside.

You took a sip of the warm green tea and admired the scenery before the two of you.

Pink and white petals parted ways from cherry blossom trees scattered throughout the courtyard. The light rain left small pastel piles that would later need to be swept. You wondered if there was a way to preserve the small pieces of spring.

A breeze picked up and caused even more petals to take flight.

You shivered and sneezed.

Benimaru reached around you to shut the sliding door. He looked at you. "Should I get you some new tea?"

You held the cup between your hands. It still felt warm to the touch. "Not yet." You looked up and noticed Benimaru's gaze upon you. "Is something the matter?"

He shifted closer to you and tilted your chin upwards with a finger. His thumb gently brushed across your lips. A trail of heat blossomed after his touch. You could swear he heard your heartbeat from how close he was.

He pulled his hand back and the heat disappeared from your skin. He held up a crumb on his thumb and smirked as if he knew what you were thinking. "You look like you were expecting something more."

You rolled your eyes and fruitlessly fought to prevent a blush from blossoming on your cheeks. "I—"

Benimaru took hold of your chin and you stared into his deep, crimson eyes. "I'll give you three seconds to move away."

You closed your eyes.

One.

Two.

Three.

His lips felt soft against yours. Your heart fluttered and for a second you tensed out of nervousness— he placed a reassuring hand behind your head and stroked your hair. You felt safe with him.

After a few moments, he pulled away and you opened your eyes.

Benimaru's warm lips brushed your forehead and he smiled at you. "How was that?"

A smile sprung to your own lips. "Lovely."

You wrapped your arms around him and leaned into his warmth.

------

A/N: In an alternative universe, you would have replied with "nice pitchhh" (Jujutsu Kaisen reference)