Chapter Ten: Breaking Point

Haleema decides to make all of our feet levitate off the ground as we run to the second tower. We're not connected to Haleema's control. She points at the third tower before leaping down the ladder. Ulrika and I bank left, zooming down the walkway. I move to her side to incite some competitive fun. She shakes her head and wags her finger.

"I got this. Get the last one," Ulrika says, holding my shoulder.

"Alright." Someone climbs up the ladder, but she takes them out with a throwing knife.

I don't tarry around to watch her do her part. Plus, I don't know how long this flight will last, so I speed towards the last lookout. I reach it within seconds and jump into the hole, right in the center of four cultists. Their close proximity to me makes it impossible for them to attack with their swords. Using a magical blast would cause too much attention. I know if I fight these guys all at once, it'll be one hell of a hassle.

"Shit," I whisper, raising my fist to the sides of my head.

One person aims for my head with a right hook. I quickly drop to the ground, doing the splits with my legs going under them. Three of them jump on me, pinning me on my back. I ignite my hands to force the one who's closest to me off. He screams, but his buddies stay on top of him. His chest ignites in flames, causing him to yell some more. The other two finally back off. Their clothing burns enough to cause a small fire on their clothing. I kill the man on me with my dagger and stab the standing one in the foot.

"Ugh! My bloody foot," he says, kneeling on the ground. He cheap shots me in the right cheek, but his punch isn't hard. His attack causes him to lose his balance and fall over me.

"Come here," I say, lodging my dagger in the back of his neck and leaving it there. While the last two are concerned with their burning clothes, I manage to get out of the dead cultist pile and up to my feet. They wield their swords, but I tether their hands to fatally strike each other at their necks.

"Fuck me," I say, resting on a wall to catch my breath and ease my adrenaline. "Need to arm this orb."

I activate the explosive, drop it on the ground, then return to the surface. I see Ulrika sprinting over to me. Haleema just turned from the third tower heading this way. Ulrika slows her speed into a casual walk. I sit on the ground to resume calming myself down.

"Hey, are you alright?" Ulrika says, getting on both of her knees.

"I think I got the worst luck down there."

"What do you mean?"

"Take a look." She leans over the hole, then slowly turns back to me.

"Shit. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. I just need a moment."

"Where's your dagger?" I touch my scabbard, look all around me, then remember where I left it.

"It's lodged in one of their necks."

"I'll get it." While she climbs down the ladder, Haleema makes it over here.

"Did you place your orb?" Haleema says. I reach my hand up to her to help me up. She tries to pull me up, but most of the lifting is done by me. "Gosh, you're heavy."

"Who?" Ulrika says, coming back up the ladder with my dagger in hand. She hands it back to me, cleaned from the blood.

"Kaioson."

"No, he's not. I can carry him on one shoulder." Haleema looks at us with a brow raised and arms crossed.

"It's true," I confirm.

"Wow," Haleema says, elongating the word.

Off to my right, I hear heavy stomping boots and a crowd of voices. We all look down towards the inner courtyard.