Chapter Twenty Two: Aftermath

Something warm touches my neck as I'm sleeping. It wakes me up enough I can tell it's a hand. I'm sure it's Ulrika's hand, judging by the careful touch rubbing around my neck and shoulder. I grab it with my left hand, then the fingers slide and interlock between mine.

"Is that you, Ulrika?" I say.

"Yup." She crawls over me to lay beside me. It's a tight fit since this bed is only meant for one person. Her chest is my face. My nose presses through her shirt and pokes her left breast when she adjusts into a suitable position. "Sorry to wake you, but they're starting to put down the tents."

"Dang," I yawn, digging my face into her breast. "Tell them I'm sleeping."

"I did," she whispers, playing with two of my twisted locks. "But, they're on orders to move back in the city."

"Ugh. Tell them thirty more minutes."

"I already did that. You've wasted it all up." I pout like a child as I snuggle my face deeper into her breast until I find the perfect tender spot to continue sleeping in. "Alright, stop your whining." I finally crack open my eyes. Her green eyes beam down on me with a smirk to compliment the beauty of her entire face. "Come on, sleepyhead."

"Okay," I say, sitting up. On a stand next to my bed, there's some clothing. "Where's Haleema?"

"Outside the tent. A lot of shit when down that she wants us to know about."

"Damn. What about your family? Are they safe?"

"Yes. A few of my brothers came down here when you were sleeping." I sigh with relief, yet my heart rate is high. "I hope your mother is okay."

"She is. Thyrna lives in the most protected kingdom in this world. Nite wouldn't make it several miles near the walls."

"How can you be so sure of that?"

"That's Xanlos's land. He wouldn't let his land be taken over by these devils."

"You seem to know him like he's a friend or something of the sort."

"I only know what is written of him in the scrolls and palms." I clothe myself before someone yells at us to leave.

"I wish I knew more of our people's history. Father never shared much of it with my brothers and me."

"We can go to the temples in Aurath if you like."

"What?! There are temples?" Her quickness in saying that and her level of excitement makes me chuckle.

"Yeah. Once we eventually go to Kromagia, I'll take you there. Now, where's my sword?"

"Right," she says, reaching behind her back. "Here." She unbuckles the lace around her chest and swings my sword to her lap. Her weapons are around her hips, which is rare to see. "Let me put it on." I swing open my arms, so I won't be in the way. "Guess what Garret did to my swords."

"What did he do?" Once she puts my sword around my back, she pulls out her swords. Half of it is gone. The end of the blade is blackened as if it was burned or melted. "Oh no! How did this happen?"

"When he was electrocuting Haleema and me, I took the brunt of it with my swords. The heat warped my blades, then it eventually snapped off." Seeing her brothers' swords broken saddens me.

"This is awful, Ulrika." She chuckles when she views the broken tips. I'm confused by it. It doesn't seem to be backed with sorrow. I don't hear any sign of a whimper, and she's genuinely smiling.

"It truly is a bummer," she says, putting them away. She motions her head to the exit with the side of her head and holds me by the arm.

"Are you doing okay?"