Fight

Levi looks up at me, not changing his expression. He folds his arms and shifts his weight to one of his legs.

"I won my match with Eren" I say proudly

"Oh, that was quick, congratulations" Erwin said

"Thank you sir" I nod my head once.

"Have you chosen your partner yet?" He asks

I look down at Levi and our eyes meet. He stiffens up but doesn't break his gaze. The same tension I felt this morning returned.

"Actually I have, I choose Captain Levi" I say, directing the phrase at him.

His jaw stiffens and he breaks his gaze. Erwin looks at Levi, waiting for him to respond. When he doesn't Erwin breaks the silence.

"Very well then, since no one else is done yet you can start right away." Erwin offers.

"Tch, alright brat let's get this over with."

He uncuffs his jacket and slips it off, handing it to Hange. She takes it and folds it under her arm.

"why don't you need your jacket" she asks him with a confused look.

"Because I don't want to get it dirty four eyes." He says

I won't lie, I'm terrified to fight him. He's fast and skilled in combat. If I'm lucky I won't end up with any broken bones. I watch him, clearly nervous. I bring my arm up to wipe the sweat off my forehead.

He walks up to me and stops about an inch away from my face. He brings his lips close to my ear and I feel his breath whisk across the lobe. A shiver runs down my spine.

"I'm gonna go easy on you, so put on a good show. Erwin should be satisfied with that at least." He says in a voice so low that only I could hear. It's the same voice from last night, the one that told me about his scars.

He steps away and I get in my fighting stance. I lift my fists and before I can react Levi springs into action. He runs to the left of me and brings his fist to my gut. He's right, it doesn't hurt nearly as much as it would have with him normally. I wince and bring my hand to my stomach, hunching over a little bit.

Put on a show

I remember his words from earlier so I try a little harder to be convincing. I barrel towards him and throw a punch that he blocks with ease. He spins around and kicks my stomach, knocking me down, but I get back up and spit out some blood on the ground. I only bit my cheek a little on my way down, but they don't need to know that. It adds to the show.

The second I'm up Levi's fist meets my jaw and he grabs my neck with his hand, tightening it with crushing force. I am a little shocked at the sudden violence. What happened to going easy on me. The more I craved oxygen, the harder I clawed at his hand, aching to take a breath. I look at him with pleading eyes. Almost immediately he loosens up enough for me to take a breath, but not enough for people to notice.

I elbow him in the gut, causing him to lose his grip on me enough for me to escape. I try to get behind him and get him in a choke hold but he stops me. I feel his cold boot hit my stomach and pain erupted from my torso. I hit the ground with a thud and he kneels down. One of his feet is resting on my forehead his knee is between my legs.

"Looks like I win cadet" he says, not even a hint of enthusiasm in his words.

I only nod, not trusting that my voice would work after what just happened. Levi leans
forward a little to get up and his knee gets closer to me and grazes my inner thigh. I try to keep my reaction to this at bay. Once he's up he gives me an apologetic look and offers his hand to help me up.

"Sorry I got a little carried away at the end there" he says in his low voice.

Once we're both up he speaks louder, meaning for others to hear.

"You fought well cadet y/n, a good soldier never backs down from a challenge and you went willingly headfirst into one. I applaud your bravery"

Once he's done with his little tribute, he notices how bad of shape he left me in.

"My office tonight" he whispers. I nod

"Yaeger, get her to the infirmary, she looks like shit." He orders

"Yes sir" Eren salutes and then runs to me.

"What the hell were you thinking y/n!! Why did you choose Levi?" He snaps, his voice an octave too high.

"I don't know why okay, I just did." I say a little frustrated.

"You need to be more careful when picking your battles.

"Ya ya I know just get me the hell to the infirmary." I say.

He helps me walk a little on our way there. Halfway there I didn't need help walking anymore.

"Eren I can walk now" I tell him

"Okay, just be careful." He responds and let's go of me, arms ready to catch me if I fall.

He thinks I'm hurt pretty bad but I'm not in as bad of shape as I look. I open the door and sit down, waiting for someone to come get me. Eventually a nurse walks out and escorts me too a room. I have slight bruising where I got kicked and a busted lip, but nothing too serious. She tells me to take the day off tomorrow and rest up. I assure her I would and leave the infirmary.

Once I get back to my room I change my dirty clothes and get ready to go see the captain. I wonder what he wants so late. It's past sundown already. I am wearing casual clothes due to the hour, my uniform in a pile by the corner.

As I leave my room and approach his office I think about the possible situations that could unfold. When I reach his door I give it a pronounced knock.