Cabin

The tree line was getting closer with each step Alrick took. He set a steady pace. My patience was growing thin.

"Captain, where are we going? Is it to the forest?" I asked expectantly.

"How'd you ever guess?" he scoffed and lowered his head.

"Piss off, it's not like you told me where we were going!" I jabbed him in the ribs.

Levi crumpled at the soft, yet precise attacks. In one motion, he flung his hands over and grabbed mine mid jab. He crumpled my hands a little, almost like a warning.

Nearly immobilized, I had no easy method of defense. I resorted to the weapons I was born with. Without second thought I opened my mouth wide and bit down on the skin between his shoulder and neck.

For flare, I even let out a little growl that vibrated against his neck. He swallowed hard and grimaced in pain.

"Fucking shit cadet, we're you raised by titans!?" He gasped, releasing my hands to pry me off. His voice was straining as his breathing picked up.

"No, I was raised by the fucking government" I spat. It's not like I particularly needed to keep that a secret.

"The hell you mean by that?" he questioned, wiping my saliva off his tunic with his handkerchief.

"The system. What else could I mean by that?" I answered, as if obvious.

"Oh... I didn't know..." He mumbled an apology.

Orphans didn't stand a chance in the outer walls. Most kids tried to avoid getting sent into government mandated housing. The caregivers saw us as tools for their own profit.

We were kept as military slaves. It's not uncommon for some to be sold into trafficking and laborious work at their young ages.

We had a place to sleep and we're fed enough to avoid kicking the bucket. After all, it's impossible to profit off a corpse.

They saw promise in me, so they kept me around and forced me to enlist. By the sound of Levi's reaction, he had already assumed the worst.

"Don't worry, I was too special for them to damage, if that's what your thinking..." I explained before I let his thoughts wander too far.

"They recruit you too?" He asked in a quiet voice.

"My foster parents got a lot of money sending me here. Did you get recruited?

"I made the choices I had to make. I won't say I was forced, but I didn't put myself here." He responded

"I guess we both got dragged into this." I quietly voiced.

"mn" he grunted.

The grass was getting taller as we approached the trail leading into the forest. The trees were thick and lush with greenery. The air smelled fresh with the scent of nature.

I leaned into Levi as I took in the sight. It was dimmer in the forest, the trees blocked out most of the light.

Levi took Alrick on a path riddled with overgrown vegetation. It was a vacant trail that appeared to be abandoned for quite some time. We enjoyed a peaceful silence as we neared our destination.

The sound of crashing water was getting closer the further we went. Humidity clung to my skin like a wet napkin. I subtly inched away from Levi as my skin grew more uncomfortable.

A mosquito landed on my arm and bit me before I got the chance to smack it away.

"Agh!" I cried, instantly scratching the welt it left on my skin.