Chapter 9: Coming New Arrival

After her session with Mikoto Misaka, Grendel Brùn, gave her farewell to the girl and moved to her next patient, who is currently in the Den’s infirmary. It didn’t took her long to reach her destination and meet the boy face to face. He too is a long time patient and was specifically assigned to her. The white haired boy reading something in his portable terminal who noticed her presence then smiled at her upon setting eyes on her face.

“Oh hello Ms. Grendel, long time no see. How’s life for you?” With a warm smile the woman replied. “It’s currently kind to me. I am actually having a lucky streak as of late. How about you? You’re here again in your favorite place, how’s life treating you?” Grendel finished with a wink.

Even after knowing the woman in front of him, joyful and easy going demeanor never becomes stale in Zero’s opinion. With a short laugh, the white haired God Eater expressed his emotion at the reaction of the woman who he has been appointed as his psychologist as of late, when he was done, the two of them started discussing other things pertaining to their personal life like good friends, which was not far from the truth. Their talks varied from new friends to small funny mistakes.

After another laugh, the God Eater composed himself and proceeded to prepared his mind for the treatment that he would be receiving. “Ok then, I’m ready.” He said to Grendel. Nodding, the woman then explained the things she’s going to perform. “So as for our routine, I need you to listen to my voice very carefully and also try to clear your mind.” After she finished, the woman gave Zero a reassuring smile. Even if it was a routine, the lad still need to always prepare himself every time they do this, to prepare himself for a short hell.

Now feeling ready enough to survive another waking nightmare, Zero nodded at the woman. “Wandering, Sister’s, Death.” Came the words of Grendel. The white haired boy’s eyes widen as he is once again thrust to gruesome and dreadful memories. Shaky breaths escaped his mouth and sweat started rolling down his forehead and back. The God Eater’s most painful memory in his history once again unfolding before his eyes though almost not registering in his mind, it once again became a blur for the boy. An Unforgettable memory that cannot be recalled clearly.

===***===

Inside the massive simulation room that is just finishing the disengagement of a scenario, Mikoto Misaka stood in its middle panting and covered in sweat, she has been training here right after her psychologist was done with her appointment and actually left her toasted friend back in her room. She always liked to hit the Simulation after her appointments with Grendel, she felt very capable and actually is a lot more efficient in combat. From before she met her, she was a mess.

Even from the time with Zero checking on her from time to time she was still a wreck, but when Grendel came along, she became more capable and stable, though her nightmares still haunts her. Deciding to finally take a rest, she faced the observation window embedded on wall facing the massive door, she then bowed at the operator inside who happened to be Hibari who took her time to accompany Mikoto after she requested for someone to run the simulations.

After expressing her gratitude to the girl who helped her, Mikoto proceeded to the massive door that opened behind her. She took her time to put the Dummy Arc she used back in its place, the moment she exited the Training supply room that one would pass through if they are going to the Simulation area, her attention was turned to a group of God Eaters that’s walking towards the same door she came out from. Them being more in numbers and her being in the way of the group, Mikoto decided to step to the sides and let them pass; the hallway being only narrow enough to let four people to walk side by side in which the group of God Eaters occupied.

As they passed Mikoto heard some of the stories that they were talking about, it seems that the Director was away and that a new New-Type will be coming in, and the exciting fact according to the boy that was lively talking about it; she’s a foreigner, Russian to be exact. The reaction of the boy that talked about new recruit coming reminded her of the orange haired that always hanged around Zero; she was sure that his reaction would be somewhat similar.

Though not really interested with the conversation; she disregarded. She proceeded to go back to her room not really having anything else to do, she’s after all banned from taking missions and again needs to undergo a ‘Graduation’. The written things from Doctor Sakaki doesn’t bother Mikoto either, she can breeze through them like how she did the first two times. And so she decided to take a rest until her training schedule with Major Tsubaki comes. Upon reaching her destination, she again used her powers to open her door by using magnetism, inside she found the red haired schoolgirl that was tied before.

She was sitting on Mikoto’s bed slowly caressing the sheets; her gaze distant and deep. Though when the red head realized that the owner of the room has returned, she quickly vaulted off the bed and turned her head to the door. With a beaming smile she used her Esper powers to disappear from near the bed and appear in front of Mikoto. The girl tackled the God Eater but because of Mikoto’s enhance body, the two girls didn’t fall down to the ground. With a high pitch voice, the red head expressed her emotions to the God Eater. “Onee-sama! I missed you! Oh, how long I wasn’t able to smell your scent!”

Staying true to the words she said, the intruding red head took a big whiff from Mikoto’s chest. Seeing the antics of her Best Friend, the God Eater placed a hand atop the red head’s hair and patted her, she really feel at ease when this younger girl is around. Though the embrace was starting to take too long, and also its starting to tighten up, Mikoto also noticed that the girl embracing her is starting hyperventilate and blush, then she started to giggle to herself. Feeling slightly uneasy the God Eater called out to the red head. “Uh, Kuroko… Are you alright?” came her question, which Kuroko as how Mikoto referred to her answered. “Yes Onee-sama, I feel marvelous!”

Her tone alarmed the Esper God Eater, she was afraid that this would happened, the signs were there already, but she failed to see it. “I miss you so much Onee-sama, I… I don’t think I can control myself! Please forgive me Onee-sama!” Came Kuroko’s declaration But before she can do anything any further, lightning coursed through her body and drowned her with voltage. Screams was heard throughout the hallway of the Rookie Section of the Den, though the ones that are in their room didn’t really bothered to do anything they were used to it by now. It was either the orange head rookie or the red head middle schooler that gets electrocuted so they didn’t really bothered looking.

Now smoking on the ground with her butt sticking out in the air, Kuroko giggled to herself while muttering “Onee-sama’s punishment…” as if she enjoyed every bits of the volt she received. Seeing that her best friend still hasn’t change, it put a smile one Mikoto’s lips. A smile that rarely comes after that certain day in her life. Noticing the smile, Kuroko stood up, she then embraced Mikoto again but not but this time it was a ‘proper’ embrace. With a genuine smile, the red head spoke. “I am very happy to see you smile again Onee-sama.” She then separated herself from the God Eater and observed the other’s face. She still saw the drowning sadness behind Mikoto’s eyes but the smile she has is genuine and not forced at any way. It really made her glad.

Deciding to make her beloved friend’s mood better, Kuroko changed their topic of discussion and start to talk about everyday stuff with her Onee-sama, it proved to be effective because the monotonic tone of Mikoto Misaka lessen and she also started sounding like her former self. The two chatted for an hour until their topic of conversation shifted to shopping; Kuroko found out that due to Mikoto failing her ‘Graduation’ she hasn’t really done anything else other than training and studying. And that didn’t sit well with the red head. “I refuse to accept my Onee-sama has become a workaholic shut-in! Please Onee-sama, go with me outside! As your friend best friend, I cannot tolerate this destructive behavior!” Kuroko exclaimed as she tried to drag the God Eater into the door.

“Wait Kuroko, I would need to let Major Tsubaki know first if I’m going out, and also I have a scheduled training session in an hour!” Mikoto said as the red head dragged her to the door, though when they reached it, it didn’t move. That’s when Kuroko remembered that the door was fried earlier and just proceeded to use her power. In a blink of an eye the two girls vanished in the thin air and reappeared outside Mikoto’s room. But unknown to the Esper, the God Eater’s superior officer was walking in the Rookie Section’ hallways of the Den, and was at just the right time to witness their teleportation. Giddy to drag her friend outside, Kuroko wasn’t able to notice the mature woman with raven locks of hair.

But on the other hand, the other girl saw the Major and started sweating bullets as the said officer approached them. “Kuroko Shirai, a Middle School student in Tokiwadai Middle School am I not correct?” Came the voice of Major Amamiya. Hearing the stern voice of the Major also made Kuroko start sweeting cold sweat, as if trying to make sure that the voice was real, she slowly cranked her head to her left. And that confirmed that voice was actually real.

“Y-yes Ma’am that’s cor-correct!” Kuroko exclaimed out of nervousness, her knees shaking; she had heard a lot of things from the God Eaters that sometimes hang out in the City about the very woman standing in front of her, at first she didn’t really believed all the rumors that was floating around about the Major but on one of the times she visited her best friend she saw how vicious the officer was.

She would even bet that her Dorm Mistress would probably lose and cower in a corner if the two were given a chance to engage in a fight for dominance. Well, now Kuroko knows in her heart and mind that she would experience hell. “I received no report from Hibari or any of our Operators nor Receptionists that Trainee Mikoto Misaka would be having visitors aside from Miss Grendel today. Is there any explanation for your appearance here Miss Shirai?” Tsubaki asked, her voice leveled and calm though it held so much authority that it made the red head shiver the same way she trembles upon hearing the voice of her Dorm Mistress.

“I-I have none M-Major A-Amamiya!” Kuroko squeaked, her back wet with cold sweat. She can practically feel the daggers pressing on her neck that the single visible eye of the military officer is shooting at her. Hearing that the girl indeed doesn’t have anything to show and also no permission of any kind to show off, Major Tsubaki Amamiya laid down her verdict. “Report to the Den’s custodian, you will dedicate a whole day cleaning here. Go find Mrs. Tsuchi, she will show you what to do.”

Feeling the authority of the command, the girl was only able to answer “Yes Ma’am…” with a dejected tone, her shoulders slumped down. It wasn’t her first time getting caught and so she knows already that there’s no escaping her fate; she tired once but ended up facing something worst. Kuroko then let go of Mikoto and waved at her goodbye before walking towards the large elevator at the end of the hall. Upon reaching the open elevator, the red head walked inside and pressed the floor number where the maintenance workers of the Den gather.

Kuroko waved again at Mikoto as the doors of the lift closed, she waved back until her best friend was blocked by the metal doors. After that, she turned to the her superior that still haven’t moved from her place, she too was looking at the elevator where the young student disappear in; her fierce eyes having a more gentle look than it normally has. Down with whatever thought that she processed in her head, Major Amamiya turned her head to Mikoto and addressed her. “You, on the other hand, would be resigning your hour of rest and exchange it for training hours. That’s punishment for failing to report that a civilian has entered your residence without permission. I expect you to not be involve in anything like this in the future. Am I understood?” Tsubaki said in her stern tone that’s filled to the brim with authority.

Feeling the weight of the question, the Esper God Eater straighten like a pole, it’s her turn to sweat cold sweat. Seeing the ‘normal’ that she received from the God Eater, the Major let a small smile slip on her expression; she have seen this exact girl act like a machine and also be broken in both spirit and psyche and it made her feel pity towards her. Now seeing her in this rare time of her acting like a normal girl her age with friends help her feel a little relived for the young God Eater. Though having enough of her own thoughts, Tsubaki spoke again. “Continue to cherish those friends, They will lift you up when you desperately need it. Now quit standing around, report to me to the Simulation Area, bring your God Arc with you. I will inform Lica of the restriction being lifted.”

Hearing the advise, Mikoto loosened up and nodded at the words of her superior, and when the Major mentioned her God Arc, she beamed a little. She have been missing the sensation of her God Arc being in her grasp, the feeling that she’s whole whenever she’s swinging its blade. Receiving the confirming nod from the soldier, Tsubaki turned away and walked towards the elevator and waited for its doors to open, Mikoto followed shortly, and when the doors opened, the two entered the lift. As to doors were closing, a glint can be seen in the eyes of young Esper God Eater, a renewed determination.

===***===

Aboard a plane cruising above the edges of the Russian continent, the Branch Director of Fenrir Far East sat in the office space provided for him. His eyes were studying documents of all sorts, from Aragami reports to possible God Eater candidates from both the Russia Branch and Far East. As he was scanning the different documents, a beep from his portable terminal caught his attention. He then put down the papers he was reading to the table and grabbed his device and scanned it.

Notifications popped up, it was a message from Grendel Brùn. He scanned it and was satisfied. He was about to place it back when he again received a notification, though this one was from his son Soma. When he read the report, his brows furrowed. “Still noting.” He muttered to himself. Disappointed by the report, he placed his terminal back to the table and continued to with his reading of the different documents that littered his table. After an hour of doing so, he decided to stop for a bit and take a rest, he did so in his most comfortable position.

He rested both of his elbows on the table and crossed each of his fingers together, he then closed his eyes to meditate on the things he had read and the reports he received. It was one of his most memorable habit, a posture that relayed his seriousness on his works and his plans.

As he was pondering a knock sounded from the door, after a few seconds a voice of man rang from the outside. “Director Johannes, its Dr. Oguruma.” Upon hearing the name of the man outside, he let him inside and asked him to take a sit. As if they have practiced this meeting a hundred times over, the doctor handed over a new set of documents tucked in a folder. The Director on the other hand grabbed it and flip through it, scanning its contents. Done with the quick look he gave to the documents, he asked a question. “Is all the steps taken?” Johannes said, his eyes filled with conviction and decisiveness. “Yes, all steps have been taken. She’s ready.” Dr. Oguruma answered with finality. Hearing that, the Director nodded. “We move on to the next phase then.”