Chapter 5: Similarities in Agony

Sweating and rasping for air. That was how Zero woke up, his whole body shaking from adrenaline. He had that dream gain. That nightmare. “You’re still angry at me sis, aren’t you?” He whispered to himself. After stabilizing his own emotions, the white haired boy proceed to jump off the bed he’s on only to realize that he’s not currently in his room, rather he’s on the Den’s Infirmary.

Confused to why he’s there, the young man tried to remember the last things that he did. He racked his brain for memories and was able to get a small bit of what he wanted. He remembered a girl on a bed, and then lightning storm inside a room. Even with those few thing the God Eater pieced it together. ‘He once again used his body as a lighting rod.’ This made him smile to himself. “Well, still the martyr that I am…” Zero said to himself.

Setting the past events aside, the young man proceeded to converse with the infirmary nurse that came by to check on him. He asked how long was he unconscious and how was Mikoto doing. “You’ve been out for a day sir. And about Mikoto Misaka. She’s currently in the Simulation Room, being trained by Major Amamiya.” The medical attendant answered the query. Giving his thanks, Zero then checked out of the Infirmary and headed to the Lobby. Intending to ask if he’s currently assigned for a mission.

Upon reaching the Mission counter, the white head asked Hibari if he is currently needed for a mission to which the Operator replied with, “Lindow asked me to forward an order to you once you’re awake. He said he’s ordering you to not engage in any missions for a day, it’s a punishment because of your recklessness. He also wants you to join Mikoto Misaka in her training exercises in 0500 hours.”

Zero stared at the Hibari after she finished with a smile, his eyes twitching every now and then. After a second of uncomfortable awkwardness the God Eater voiced his thoughts. “Darn it Lindow! I need those FCs!”

God Eaters around the white haired boy looked at him when they heard his loud complain. Silence roamed the Lobby for a few seconds before the people decided to continue with their businesses and ignore the weirdo . Embarrassed at just what he had done, Zero cleared his throat recomposing himself. After thanking the awkward feeling red head operator, the young man went to his room, seeing that he still has time to spend for himself.

He then activated his Terminal and grabbed his portable one. The young God Eater browsed the NORN archives for interesting articles to pass time, after finding one he moved it to the portable device. Satisfied, Zero flopped down on his bed and started reading. The ones he picked was about the beginning of Fenrir and also the things pertaining to the City surrounding the Far East Branch.

There he learned that Fenrir, before it became what it is now, was just a small pharmaceutical company that originated from the City that he wants to learn about. He also learned that the City which was formerly called Academy City that it earned because of the numerous academic institution that operated in it; has a massive contribution in the efforts to build countermeasures against the Aragami outbreak. And another one of the things he learned related to the topics he had read about was about Espers.

He learned how a normal person has the capacity to become one if subjected to a special drugs and or mental and psychological altering methods. He also learned that they were divided in five levels and that level 5s are the strongest and most capable ones. Satisfied with how much information he acquired, Zero put down his portable terminal and processed things he learned. Being in the outside of the walls of Fenrir really made him thirsty for information and knowledge that he might or might not be able to use.

During this ‘processing’, the boy fell asleep, the fatigue of the daily work of God Eaters taking him into the realms of dreams and subconscious. For most of Zero’s life as a God Eater which is still not that long, he barely had dreams, he is either too tired or just stayed awake because of a mission. And if he would have a dream, its always the same one that shakes him awake. And now he is experiencing it again.

In his dream, he saw images of multiple Aragami running, chasing him. Another one of the images he was able to remember was the massive gates of the Armored Wall and lastly blood and a smile. Then after that he was pushed awake again by the fear that covered him as he sees these images. Again he found himself catching his breath, his body cascaded with sweat. “That again…” The God Eater whispered.

While steadying his breath and emotions, Zero heard the door being knocked on, hoping to set aside the dreadful feeling and images that came to him from the dream, the white haired boy stood up and answered the continuing knock. After opening the door, he found a orange haired lad cloth in yellow and black cloths, a big smile plastered on his face.

“Yo! Good to see you doing fine. Man I was worried!” The yellow clad boy exclaimed. His face displaying both his feelings that he just revealed along with his still present smile. Seeing this person and his expressions helped Zero forget the nightmare he had. After a short chat and also a story that the boy told the white head about the animated series that he was interested in, the orange head then went to the God Arc Maintenance section of the Den with the white head in tow. There they looked for a girl named Licca. The two young men scrounged the separated section for the said person and found her working on a God Arc.

“Hey Licca! What ya doing?” The yellow clothed boy that dragged Zero with him greeted. The person targeted by the boy’s urge to converse with everyone that he meets took notice of them and put the down the instrument that she was using on the surface of the armament, recognizing the faces of the ones that called her attention.

“Oh hey there, Kota, Zero. Me? I’m checking Mikoto’s Shield, it took a nasty swing when she fought that Vajra, I can tell from these scratches.” The white haired girl that is clad with a mechanics jump suit that has its sleeves unused and tied on her hips that is paired with a white tank top said. Receiving an “Oh.” from Kota, the girl that is named Licca then asked if they needed anything. This time it was Zero that answered.

“Nothing really, I just tagged along with Kota. I was going to surf the NORN for more information about God Arcs but then I figured, hey why not see the maintenance first hand?” The other white haired person said. His head and eyes turning from one God Arc to the other.

“Is that so, well, you’re here now, do you have any question?” Licca offered. The white head gladly accepted the offer, asking how the God Arcs of Esper God Eaters work. “I am familiar with how normal Old-Types and also New-Types work, though I am curious on how a God Arc for an Esper works. They look like normal God Arcs but I can guest that they have something up their sleeves.”

“That is an interesting question. Well, we in the maintenance department call them ESP-Type and yes, they have somethings that a normal God Eater would drool over.” Licca answered confirming the hypothesis of Zero. “They are tailored to match their wielder’s power, to complement their AIM Field. Let say like a pyro kinetic God Eater; their God Arc would have Blaze attributes imbued in them may it be in the Gun part or Blade part. They also act as Multiplier and also Amplifier for the God Eater’s esper powers. Producing a positive Feedback Loop in the AIM field and also reinforcing the Personal Realities of the esper giving them additional offensive assets.” The mechanic explained.

Satisfied and amazed from the explanation that he received from his fellow white head, Zero nodded to the female mechanic and said his thanks, and almost started drooling himself while thinking of the applications of what he learned there. On the other hand, Kota was lost from all the technical terms he heard Licca say. He raised a hand to ask a question like he’s in a classroom , to which the mechanic took notice and allowed him to speak his mind.

“I didn’t really get all that… Can someone explain it more simply for me?” The white haired mechanic snickered while Zero face palmed. Giving Kota the slack, the God Eater took the obligation to enlighten the orange haired lad. “Basically, ESP-Type God Arcs can give Esper God Eaters a power boost.” He explained.

Deciding that he had acquired what he wanted and also seeing that it’s almost time to go and accompany Mikoto with her training exercises, Zero made a move on and went to the Simulation section of the Den; the massive empty room dedicated to training recruits. On his way to the said place, he kept seeing a girl with gray colored hair and blue eyes same as his. He kept spotting her looking at him, standing in corners or maybe sitting on benches. She’s always where he would go, she’s always there looking at him intently as he pass, looking at him with lips curved into a smile. It disturbed him, terrified him beyond belief to the point that he wants to run. But. He can’t escape that person. Never will he escape those blue eyes that is locked on him, those lips that is curved into an innocent and glad smile. He never can and he chose to suffer from this torture.

Upon finally reaching the desired destination, he took up one of those training dummy arcs and waited for his partner for the exercise. The wait didn’t took that long and after a few more minutes, they were ready to engage in training. Before the simulated battle training area was finished, Zero and Mikoto ‘conversed’.

“So, you’ve been stuck here all day?” The male God Eater asked. He got a nod for an answer, Mikoto not being in the mood to talk. “Well, the Major probably wants to kick you into shape again.” The white head continued. “I’ll lighten up the load then. After all, we got here because of our recklessness.” Zero continued with a laugh. Once again he got a nod for an answer, it being slow and lacking energy. “Let’s do our best then! Let’s start atoning for the sins we’ve done…” The lad finished, the last sentence being filled with vigor but was quite as a whisper. Those last words pushed Mikoto to take a stance, to ready herself for another fight. It may be just training exercises, but those words are the only thing that’s making Mikoto Misaka continue breathing.

After finishing his ‘conversation’ with Mikoto, Zero turned to face straight ahead, there he found the girl. Once again staring straight at him. Once again smiling at him, the sight made him tremble a little, but he stood his ground. Then there came a crash followed by a roar. It’s time to once again fight and it now once again time to let the fear drive him. Even with the Aragami right behind her, the mysterious girl didn’t move, she just stood there as if waiting. That was Zero’s signal, his catalyst. He sprinted, a broken murderous smile present on his face, once again ready to protect his pigment of imagination and remorse.