Chapter 6: Mission with Kota

“Your objective today, is to clear a path for the engineers that is tasked to perform a status report what happened to our Radars and Bias Field Analyzers and repair them if possible. You are the first ones to determine if it’s still in a repairable state or not. Because of the current situation with our equipment either unresponsive or destroyed, we don’t have any information about how many threats there are. That also includes their size and density of individual Aragami.” The stern voice of Major Tsubaki Amamiya stated, reverberating in the expanse of the Command Center of the Den. Her audience, four teams of two of the Fenrir Aragami Punitive Force.

“We won’t be able to give you a proper support assistance, for that, I want everyone that is participating in this mission in close and responsive contact with each other through the com lines. Report everything and anything that can be of interest. That is all. Any questions?l” The Major finished, her question unchallenged. After confirming that everyone was able to absorb the information of briefing, she ordered the God Eaters to move out. Among these soldiers are Zero and Kota.

After getting their God Arcs and boarding their assigned helicopter, the orange haired lad asked the white head about the thing which was said in the briefing, he received a face palm from his friend, deciding to satisfy the need, Zero answered. “Major Amamiya wanted us to clear the area and check on the Radar and Bias Field equipment we have on Sector 7 of the ruined city. We don’t have any data concerning the threat that we will face so she wants us to stay in responsive contact through our communicators.” The white haired soldier received an “Ah…” from his fellow which prompted Zero to use his turn to ask.

“What were you even day dreaming about during the briefing? I mean, you looked like you were intently listening.” The boy gave him a laugh and also gave the answer. “Bugarally Episode 234.” And from that he got another face palm. A few second of silence reigned before Kota realized something making him break the peace that’s given by the helicopter blades cutting the air. “Wait, if we’re are going blind, why are we so few?” The white haired lad heard the question but he didn’t made a move, he just stayed leaning on one of the walls of the helicopter with his eyes close trying to get a quick nap.

“Well, the only ones that the Den can spare right now is us. There are some trainees but this is too soon for them.” Absorbing that, the orange haired boy made a complain to his companion saying that “We’re fairly new too!” but was shot down with a “New yes, Trainees? No.” followed by “Well, if you consider it this way, you’re unlucky to get a promotion from Eternal Trainee to Private.” Zero gave a small laugh when his friend reacted at his teasing, in his head he’s wishing that it can always be like this.

But it isn’t always like that. “We’re closing in, preparing for final approach. Man! The streets are crawling with Orgetails.” The pilot of craft stated over the radio. Indeed the street is crawling with Orgetails, roaming. Some trying to find food and some devouring the remains of the once proud concrete jungle.

With the situation at hand, the pilot was forced to make his passengers jump off so that the chopper will not be targeted by numerous monsters. Hearing the order to deploy from both their Commanding Officer and also the pilots, all of the God Eater teams jumped off with their God Arcs in tow, their positions scattered but relatively close to each other.

As Zero was falling he muttered to himself. “Another day at work…” Kota was able to make out the muttering even from the rushing wind and agreed to the white head. Setting eyes on individual targets, the orange haired young man and his companion readied their attacks and also their psyche. Kota aimed his massive Gun of a God Arc to the snarling gods below, ready for the recoil and landing; he pulled the trigger. A colorful rain fell on the targets and they started to fall down, either wounded or dead. With the barrage, the orange head was able to make a spot for him to make his land, and upon touching the ground, he continued his shooting, determined to not let a single one get close.

Not long after he landed, the ground shook and asphalt rained, it attracted most of the attention of the surrounding hungry Aragamis giving Kota more kills. After a second, Zero emerged from the dust cloud that envelope the area where he landed and where the shaking originated; sprinting at his maximum capacity, his God Arc still trailing with Charge Crush energy. Every ‘Violent god’ that was in his way got brutally cut into two, the serrated blade of his armament making gnarly cuts into the flesh of the glutinous creatures.

The two God Eaters made a quick work of the packs of Orgetails in their immediate surrounding and after some moments of recomposing themselves, they then proceeded to confirm their action and request a next move. “We’ve clear Sector 7-12, encountered Aragami: Orgetails. No damage reports. Awaiting orders.” Zero said in the coms, broadcasting it to the other teams and also their CO.

“Affirmative, search for the Equipment and then send a status report.” The Major ordered. After nodding and saying his acknowledgement of the order, he then turned to his fellow and relayed the information. Making sure that he hears it. Zero then proceed to extract the Cores of the fallen masses of Oracle cells and as he does this, he made Kota scout the perimeter.

Now alone, he again felt the gaze of the girl. He felt her eyes again focused on him, but he doesn’t know where she is. “Its happening again…” The white haired soldier whispered to himself. He knows that he’s nearing his ‘Threshold’ again. The voices that reported their status that came from his earpiece almost got ignored, his head trying to push the ‘Boiling Point’ back.

Trying to refocus himself back to a calmer state of mind, he didn’t noticed Kota’s return and was startled when the boy called out his name. In his freight and shock, Zero swung his blade to the orange head’s direction. Kota was able to detect the surprise of his friend and by instinct, jumped back to which he was glad he did. The blade were only inches from hitting his nose, and when it actually hit the ground from its downward diagonal swing; the pavement shattered and cracked.

“Whoa whoa whoa! Z, cool it!” The orange haired boy shouted to his friend who’s eyes are filled with indignation. “Its just me!” Kota continued. Hearing his fellow’s voice and realizing that indeed the one before him is his friend and comrade in arms, Zero relaxed his stiff muscles and once again tried to calm down. “Sorry…” He then said, hanging his head low.

The two decided that the mission should come first and proceeded to search for the equipment, after being given the last known location of the said object, they hurried to it only to find it in pieces; broken and at some parts eaten by the monsters that’s roaming around. Seeing this Kota decided that it’s his turn to report. “Uh, Major… The Radar and Bias Field Analyzer package is destroyed.” The orange haired boy said to his superior through his ear piece. “Understood, Head to Sector 7-22. Eliminate any Aragami that shows up.” Came the order of the Major, the orange head acknowledged with an “Affirmative” before turning to Zero.

The orange haired young man relayed the information to the white head who is focusing on guarding their position; his God Arc now in Gun mode. Nodding, Zero took the lead to the said coordinates making sure that he can fire the first shots. In his time as a God Eater that is having some issues, a specialist advised him that ‘If he’s running on fumes, blow off some steam.’ And now he really needs to blow off some hot steam or he would ‘Blow Up’ here and now, which is not an option.

Then as they are running, their earpieces blared with shouts. “Help! We are surrounded! Location: 7-20! We got Borgs and Koungos! Please hurr-ACK!-“ The line was cut off. As if the events just fueled Zero’s body; his normal running speed turned into a full power sprint, gaining more speed with every step making Kota try and do the same; the white haired lad’s face starting to contort to frustration. He needs to make it in time, this time he will be able to save. Not like last time when he fell short, not like last time when a colleague died all because of him. “Not again!

--**--**--

A/N: Some concepts here in this chapter are borrowed from my Friends. Credit to Roi and Stringlessfate for the Bias Field concepts. Check out their stories, its awesome! God Eater: Discord And God Eater: Infinity Paradise.

P.S.: It seems that the original GEverse were using the Bias Field concept not just my friends... Oh well, they still made some amazing alteration on the concepts that might get introduced to this story. Oh well. XD