Prologue: Fading Hope

Within a large building ruins, a girl with medium length chestnut colored hair ran towards the exit of the building, but before she could reach it, a Aragami; an Ogretail to be exact, jump over her and landed exactly at the doorway. Not long when the first Aragami blocked her path of escape, two more appeared at her flanks. Not having a choice; the trapped girl readied the hulking blade she’s been hauling.

The ‘Violent gods’ didn’t stay put for too long, the two launched themselves towards the armed warrior, without hesitation. The female swordsman in turn also launched herself towards the one in front of her. The moment that she got the Aragami in her range, she swung her hulking blade. Blood spayed from the sickening wound that the attack produced making the Aragami stagger because of the pain it felt from the attack and it also roared as it tried to find its balance once more. Not letting the Monster recover, the girl then unleashed the finishing blow from its right side. As soon as the first Ogretail fell to the ground another tried to maul the female.

Acting quickly, the swordswoman raised her weapon to defend, as she does so, parts of her weapons moved. The two thick panel shaped like halves of a shield moved towards the belly of the blade. When the Ogretail’s attack connected; sparks flew in the air. Instead of flesh, the Aragami found itself biting a thick metal plate shaped into a shield produce by the girl’s weapon. The Monster tried to wrench the weapon away but the defender held her ground. With a quick push, the chestnut haired female manage to push the Aragami to a disadvantageous position; its feet tangling and because of that it lost its balance. With another quick action; the swordswoman swung her blade horizontally and caught the Ogretail’s neck, decapitating it.

The last Ogretail on the other hand didn’t charged but instead fired projectiles from its tail. The warrior barely notice the attack and also barely dodge the projectiles by stepping aside. The thick bony projectiles struck the wall of the ruined building behind the girl, its impact produce enough force to break the concrete wall and make a small dust cloud.

Despite the close call, The swordswoman’s expression didn’t changed; it stayed blank and stoic. Deciding to return the favor, she raised her weapon and grab the other handle in the mid section of her armament, this made her weapon change form; metals slid against each other and as they do so they revealed organic materials underneath the metal coverings.

After a second, the former blade was changed to a massive gun to which the armed female pointed at the last Aragami, without hesitation she pulled the trigger and fired. After that silence roam the air, seeing no more threats, the girl turned towards the exit that is now free from blockade.

But before she can proceed outside another ‘Violent god’ burst through the small doorway with it massive body. The dust that accumulated because of the sudden collapse was blasted away by the roar of the giant Aragami revealing its features.

An Aragami in the form of a gigantic tiger with four cape like substance attached on its shoulders, standing straight as the ‘Violent god’ continued its roar, it also has armored front legs and a crown like bone structure on its head. Just like before, the swordswoman’s expression didn’t change, she just took a stance and readied her weapon.

===<>===

In a room somewhere, two person observe the battle that is taking place. The two person being females; watched carefully what the holographic screens and physical ones are showing in different angles. The one in a chair was obviously in awe with the performance of the warrior in the monitors; her mouth open slightly, while the other one just watched in seriousness and silence, though she’s still impressed at the performance of the person in the monitors.

“Major Amamiya, this girl is really good, she’s fighting a Vajra on her own but she’s not struggling at all!” The red haired woman at the chair beamed at the other which she refers as Amamiya.

“Yes, she is really good, even though its just 3 weeks since she started training she is already capable of handling her God Arc very well. Even better than that of our recent New-type.” The person referred as Major Amamiya replied. Her single visible eye that is not obscured by her long raven hair fixed on the screens that’s showcasing the prowess of the chestnut haired female.

There were silence in the room for a minute as the two continued to get lost in the fight that they are watching, soon the battle ended; the victor, the girl with chestnut colored hair. As soon as the gigantic tiger referred by the girl on the chair as Vajra fell to the ground the raven hair woman in the room spoke.

“Hibari, Terminate the simulation.” The Major ordered which was answered by the red haired Operator.

“Roger.”

===><===

After defeating the Vajra, the lone warrior stared at the corpse like it’s going to rise again and fight, as she continued to stare at the dead mass of Oracle cells, the world around her flickered and soon the building where she is vanished, and was replaced by a massive expanse of space that ended on metal walls.

On one of the walls opposite to the one that housed a massive automated door, a large glass window is embedded serving as observation area for advising personnel where two silhouettes can be seen. As soon as the simulation completed its disengagement, the intercom built-in the massive room came to life.

“Good work, though you should keep your aggressive approach in check. Other than that, keep up with your hit and run tactics, that’s all. You’re dismissed.” The voice of Major Amamiya said. It sounded all over the large expanse of space of the room. As if a reaction towards the advise, the swordswoman stood up straight and spoke.

“Thank you, Major.” The girl that was tested said in replied accompanied by a bow, showing her formal gratitude, though her tone monotonic and dead. As soon as the chestnut haired female said this, the automated door opened, that she then proceed to use to leave the room. On the other hand, the two woman in the observation room watched; the operator on the chair referred by Major Amamiya as Hibari had a puzzled look on her face. Even though she have met the girl and even talked to her a couple of times, she’s still not accustomed on the way the female speaks; there’s no emotion at all in her words as if she’s empty inside.

Meanwhile Major Amamiya has a look of slight concern; in her mind, she pondered about the performance of the girl. It is undeniable that this new recruit has natural talent and spectacular scores in the simulations she undertakes, but that alone will not help her survive if her psyche fails her in the real world. While she took her time to think, the Major spoke the girl’s name as if trying to find something hidden in it.

“Mikoto Misaka…”

>>>---<<<

In one of the streets of the City that surrounds the Fenrir Far East Branch, lighting and small sparks of electricity riddled the air. Instead of coming down to earth from the skies; the lighting originated from a girl. Her cloths stained by blood and her eyes drowned by tears, her cries of sorrow filled the afternoon air. Bodies of both humans and Aragamis littered the battered asphalt and pavement, but even with this scenery; the survivors and the God Eaters that came to neutralize the situation stared and watched.

The crying was then followed by the female’s plea. “Please, just let me rest!” Came the shout of the girl to a boy with white hair that’s trying reach her. His efforts proving to be not enough as the lighting that the female is producing pushed him back every time he would advance.

Though even with this plea and having a taste of the girl’s power, he continued to walk towards her. “N-no! You shouldn’t j-just throw a-away your l-life!” The white haired young man shouted back as he continued to walk towards the chestnut haired girl with great difficulty.

“I’D BEEN HURTING FOR SO LONG! PLEASE LEAVE ME ALONE! I WANT TO REST FROM THIS PAIN!” Came the reply of the sorrowing female, though the young God Eater didn’t heed the pleas of the young woman, but instead continued to push forward; his enhance body starting to feel numb for being electrocuted nonstop.

Seeing the progress of the white haired God Eater, the sorrowing girl once again exclaimed her pleas to be left alone, and in the process, she also increased the power and intensity of the lighting that she’s giving out that was fueled by pain and angst. As the intensity increased, the male God Eater got blasted back to where he started his journey towards the grief filled girl. Not giving himself a rest, the boy once again stood up and tried to walk towards the crying girl even though his body is still being plague by the accumulated static the crawled all over him.

Again, being in the path towards the crying wreck, his knees buckled and threaten to make him fall, as once again the lighting stroke him repeatedly, the pain then resumed coursing through every fiber of him, but he didn’t let this happened. The boy stabbed his God Arc to the asphalt, catching himself.

Panting from exhaustion and pain he noticed that the lighting are starting to get out of control, shooting towards buildings and the asphalt road, carving burnt marks all over the place. Seeing that it’s starting be really dangerous not just for him but the spectators, he pushed himself more even with his battered body complaining, he rose up again and walked towards the crying young woman.

Once he reached a certain distance from the berserk female, the lighting seems like it started to get attracted to him like he’s a magnet. They aimed themselves at the God Eater and stroked him repeatedly with much more frequency than before. The burning sensation of pain once again came but the boy tried to overpower the pain, gritting his teeth and endured the relentless strikes.

Despite the overwhelming punishment, white haired God Eater continued his venture towards the sorrow filled girl and when he realized that his weapon is slowing him down, he let go. Now weaponless he continued his painful journey. He also started to have problems walking, his legs not responding with complete obedience because of the electrical interference from the attacks he’s receiving.

On the other hand the female that is controlling the storm continued to cry in despair, refusing to open her eyes and once again see the living nightmare, she did not see the progress of the boy that is struggling to reach her. The moment that the girl is within arm’s reach, the boy reached out and embraced her.

Shocked by the sudden action of the God Eater, the lighting storm vanished for a moment. Feeling the warmth of the embrace that is a stark contrast from the chilling cold of the afternoon air, she felt an urge to cry on his chest, but she ignored it and tried to push the male away. The white haired boy didn’t budged and only tighten his grip on her body but not to a point that it hurts, just so she can’t escaped. Realizing that the God Eater wouldn’t yield, the girl deliberately unleashed her full power accompanied by a scream.

“GO AWAY!” The girl exclaimed, her voice filled with pain and misery as she continued to get away from the young man’s grasp. Even with tenfold of pain that is coursing through his veins, the young man did not yield. He continued to embrace the girl even though he’s fighting for his own consciousness. “Please just let me end my suffering, I have nothing to live for anymore. IT HURTS SO MUCH!” The girl continued, still trying to push away the white haired male. Even with all the strength that she can muster, and even with the agonizing pain that the young woman was sure the God Eater is suffering, he held on to her with shaking arms.

“N-no I- w-won’t! You m-may have lost e-everything, a-and it h-hurts... B-but d-do you think t-that the ones y-you’ve lost w-would w-welcome you? Them k-knowing that y-you threw a-away your l-life?!” The suffering young man replied, his voice strained from pain. He then further steeled his resolve to not let a life go to waste because of angst and misery.

“THEN WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO?!” The young sorrowing girl demanded to the God Eater that is holding her in his arms; the lighting not relenting in its assault only getting intensified even more. As if the white haired boy predicted the question of the girl, he answered almost instantly.

“LIVE! C-continue to live! I-if you can’t b-bring yourself to, then find s-something that w-will give you p-purpose! I k-know how hard it can b-be... I’ve b-been there! But w-we have to atone f-for the lives that h-has been sacrificed f-for our sake!” Came the answer of the pained boy, his body now smoking from the constant flow of high voltage electricity.

Hearing the reply, the female somehow got awaken from her sorrow. Slowly the lighting died down until all that’s left was small sparks coming out of the God Eater that took the blunt of the storm, and the girl who controlled the storm. The crying continued but only as a whimper and sobs of pain and angst. The God Eater comforting the sorrow filled girl, his shirt under his open coat getting wet with tears.