Chapter 4: Nightmares and Memories

“Big Sister…” A voice called. Those few words resonated to Mikoto’s whole being, stirring her emotions and making her question her purpose in life.

“Big Sister, please wake up…” The voice called again. It’s happening again, every time that this voice calls her, the past that she keeps trying to bury and the pain that she always keeps hidden, hunts her once again.

“Big Sister, please wake up, it’s time…” This time, Mikoto complied and opened her eyes and awoke in her sleep. The first thing that registered to her was that she’s standing in a middle of a ruined city and that she’s also carrying her God Arc.

The scene was complemented by broken steel and glass towers that are emitting smoke, the asphalt road battered and cracked, the sky full of gray clouds and the wind blowing. Then the chestnut haired God Eater a series of heard gunfire, gunfire not from God Arcs but from outdated firearms that fires lead bullets. She followed the sound in haste and found herself in a dark alley, she also found the source of the noise; a girl that she know very well. She has chestnut colored hair like her and she’s wearing a high-tech looking goggles over her eyes, its glow lighting dark alley.

The girl is also wearing a school uniform that consist of a light brown vest sweater over a white blouse and a grey skirt. Its her, one of Mikoto’s sisters. She’s currently firing at an Ogretail, though the effort is in vain, the bullets ricoched against the armored head. The sister continued to fire until the young gunslinger exhausted her clip.

Seeing this, the ‘god’ wasted no time and launch itself towards the girl, in response and acting in pure instinct to protect her sister; Mikoto brought up and brandish her God Arc’s Shield and placed herself in front of the girl, letting the Shield take the blunt of the attack.

Sparks littered the air as the sharp fangs of the Aragami collide with the Oracle infused metal. Knowing that fighting a drawn out fight in a narrow alley is a very bad idea; Mikoto called out to her sibling.

“Run!” She shouted at the girl. The female gunslinger complied and ran out into the open, to the swordswoman’s relief. After Mikoto saw her sister turn to the main road and vanish from sight, she made her move and pushed the Ogretail away, the Aragami staggered from the sudden shove and became off balanced, it stepped back in attempt to return to a stable footing, and after it did reestablishes its footing, the first thing it saw was the spinning chains of Mikoto’s God Arc coming for the kill. It cut through the armored skull of the ‘God’ like its paper, spitting it vertically in half.

The young God Eater didn’t bother to extract the Core of the fallen ‘god’ and just ran after her sister with great haste, the moment that she was out in the main road, she again heard the familiar gunfire. Mikoto was shocked upon seeing her sister being surrounded by dozens of Ogretails, she did not considered her own safety nor did she wasted any second, her body entered a hyperdrive like state, she rampage through the Monsters with relentless strikes and swift and lethal slashes; slowly exhausting herself in the process.

By the time she was able to cut down the last of the small ‘gods’, she was worn out and full of wounds and bruises, which she sustained from acting as a human shield at times she deemed she needed to, as she try to catch her breath. She then gazed at the numerous corpses that littered the asphalt road, soaking the cold road with blood.

Steadying her breathing, Mikoto turned away from the carnage she caused, and shifted her gaze to her sister who was also out of breath from trying her best avoiding the ‘gods’ attacks. Glad that her sister is safe, Mikoto started to walk towards the girl that bears the same features as her.

Then, out of nowhere, one lone Ogretail came out of a corner, it’s tail raised ready to shoot the bone like spike on the end. Again Mikoto did not consider her own well being, but she did calculated how can she bring the assailant that dared harm her sister with her.