01 🗡 Ancient Book

A few days ago...

"One green tea latte and one café americano for Dana!" the coffee barista called out and frowned upon seeing a short girl jumping up and down behind the barricade of people who were crowding the claim area of the coffee shop.

"Dana? That's me!" the petite girl exclaimed. She squeezed herself through the gaps between people who were impatiently waiting for their order and finally managed to reach the claim area.

"Miss Dana?" the male barista asked.

"Yes, that's me," Dana smiled, unmindful even if her long hair tied in a bun on top of her head was already disheveled. She tiptoed to get her drinks from the high counter and hastily left. She was already a regular customer of the coffee shop and yet, the barista never remembered her.

There was a time when her average-looking face used to bother Dana since people tend to ignore and forget her easily, but as she grew older, she didn't mind being invisible anymore. There were a lot of things in this life to worry about compared to her looks.

Orphaned at the age of seventeen, she took several part-time jobs to be able to graduate in the university. Now that she was twenty-one years old with a degree in Journalism under her belt, she was already working for more than a year as an assistant feature writer of the bestselling newspaper in the country.

Dana entered the building and tapped her ID on the gate. Almost everyone was cheerfully chatting with their officemates on that early morning as they waited for the elevator, except her. She quietly stood in front of the line and entered the elevator. She didn't even make a sound as she was constantly pushed toward the corner by the swarm of people.

Upon reaching her floor, Dana looked like she barely managed to preserve her life from a deadly combat. Dragging her tired body, she went directly to the work area and gave the drinks to her senior officemates who were regularly making her do menial tasks. Even though her job description did not include being a maidservant to her entire department, that was exactly what happened when she first entered the company – News86 Newspaper – which was located in Beijing. And the News86 Culture and Lifestyle department's tradition of enslaving Dana continued until this day.

"Dana! Where's Dana? Dana!" The department head stepped out of his office and called out loudly while darting his eyes around. "Dana!"

"She's behind you, sir," one of the staffs replied.

"S-Sir. I'm here," Dana tapped their boss's shoulder, making the man jerk back in surprise.

"Oh, there you are," he stated before shoving the invitation card toward her. "I have a schedule later, so attend this charity gathering on my behalf. Remember to dress up since the prominent people in the high society will be there."

"But sir, I have to finish the article—"

The department head just waved his hand dismissively and entered his office, shutting the door without giving her a second glance.

"Dana, make ten copies each of these documents." A pile of paper was suddenly placed on her arms. Before she could say anything, more tasks were thrown her way.

"Deliver this to the news department."

"Dana, get me a cup of coffee on your way back."

"Since you're going to pass by the reception area, get my package for me too."

"Don't forget to finish this article. Submit the draft to me by Monday."

Dana slumped her shoulders in defeat while hugging the documents. How she wished she was half as fearless and uncaring as the villains she saw in the movies to at least say no to the people taking advantage of her. She would probably have more time for herself and would be able to relax once in a while if she was brave enough to reject.