07 🗡 A Maiden's Heart

"Da Xia doesn't have one."

Yong Jie brought his gaze back at the hair ornament, which was a long hairpin the size of a chopstick with dangling accessories on top, and carefully tucked it in his belt at his back. He then gave Qian Ru a salute and murmured his gratitude before leaving the lady and Rong Rong behind.

"He rejected the Rose Petal's guest sect token for a mere hair ornament because of his maidservant," Qian Ru remarked with a trace of sadness in her voice. The weight of the rectangular token on her hand seemed to be getting heavier, just like the weight inside her heart.

"Lady, don't be distressed," Rong Rong comforted her. "Of course, he values his maidservant because she is his trusted aide. You also value me even though I'm your handmaiden, and you even fought for me to be inducted as a junior disciple of the Rose Petal sect despite my lowly background."

There was a brief pause as Qian Ru tilted her head while ruminating about Rong Rong's words. Her innocent and charming beauty was magnified with her silence and with that simple movement.

The famed lady of Rose Petal sect was the most talented and most gorgeous among their disciples, her bright and pure eyes capturing the hearts of many. These were the reason why Rong Rong was certain that it was impossible for the wandering warrior not to be enamored by their lady.

"Besides, Da Xia may be cute because of her petite body, but she is rather plain-looking," the trusted aide added. "Not to mention she's also just a maidservant."

There was no malice nor contempt in Rong Rong's words as she spoke of only the truth. In Chun Empire, status was extremely significant as it defined how you were viewed and treated by society – much like the ancient era of the modern world. Hence, in their eyes, it was not only impossible for Yong Jie to have his eyes set on Da Xia, it was also forbidden as it would shake the foundation of the empire's culture. The only reason why the warrior would value a maidservant was if he wished to promote her to be his bedservant, which was still incomparable to an ordinary concubine, how much more to the main wife.

Being a lady of the Chun Empire, Qian Ru understood her trusted aide's thoughts. Her earlier worries ebbed away as she was reminded that she was a maiden of higher status. She should be magnanimous if Yong Jie decided to take Da Xia as his bedservant since the position of the main wife could never be given to a handmaiden. Her cheeks flushed at the thought of being the warrior's main wife, which didn't escape Rong Rong's eyes.

"Lady Qian Ru, what are you imagining?" she teased. "Could it be your thoughts already flew to your first night at the bedchamber with your prospective husband – the warrior Yong Jie?"

The lady lowered her gaze and cupped her cheeks, which made her look more adorable. "How could I have such thoughts? It is evident Yong Jie doesn't view me favorably."

Admittedly, Qian Ru already got used to the admiring gazes of people, especially the opposite sex. It was the first time she encountered a man whose cold glint in his eyes did not disappear as he talked to her.

Yong Jie was the epitome of a fierce warrior honed by the battlefield, his icy glare and steady gait a reflection of the toughness and vigor of a man who charges forward even in the face of death. Such was a man that captured the interest of Qian Ru. Unfortunately, his behavior toward her was too polite and distant.

"My lady, trust me, no man could ever ignore your beauty," Rong Rong assured her. "If he really doesn't hold any interest toward you, then why is he still with us instead of continuing his journey?"

Qian Ru stared at the guy talking to his maidservant who was crouching on the ground while picking flowers. Looking at the girl from this distance, if not for her hair and the flowers tucked in her half bun, Da Xia would appear like a manservant because of the way she was dressed. A soft gasp suddenly escaped her mouth when Yong Jie flicked Da Xia's forehead, causing the little maiden to whimper in pain while rubbing the spot that her master flicked. Even her trusted aide flinched with what they saw.