09 🗡 Falling Leaves and First Snow

At the start of winter, the master and his maidservant finally arrived at the village called Plum Mist. Although Da Xia didn't show it, her mind was still preoccupied with thoughts about how the events were progressing as compared to the ancient book.

The day after they bade farewell to Rose Petal sect ladies, she and Yong Jie found out that Qian Ru tucked two guest sect tokens inside her bag. Even though the events were different, the Rose Petal's guest sect token, which was meant to be used for the female lead, still found its way to the warrior's hands. It seemed like the female lead's power to affect the story should not be underestimated. Da Xia didn't know how to feel about it.

Another thing that was bothering her was that contrary to the online novels she had read in the modern world, she didn't possess a skill that would be useful for her to survive in a parallel world that resembled that of an ancient dynasty. In those novels, the protagonist was either a genius doctor, an assassin, or someone who was skilled in an area that could gain her fame. Being an assistant feature writer, what skill could she use to help her while she was stuck in Chun Empire? Even her hobbies were nothing of value.

"Da Xia?" Yong Jie grabbed her attention as he pointed at an inn located at the right side of the road that looked like it wasn't supposed to be there. The tattered inn was so out of place as it stood between elegant looking establishments. In her humble opinion, the inn should have long become firewood. If all the tenants in that place reached a unanimous bad decision of jumping at the same time, it would probably be reduced to ruins.

The maidservant grimaced, and the warrior took the hint. So, the two continued walking to look for a place to stay. They finally settled on renting an old, small house with a backyard facing the forest. It was suitable for them since Yong Jie still wanted to continue training at the woods as they waited for the winter season to pass before continuing their journey.

"You like it?" the warrior placed his hand on her head as he looked at her, and she beamed at him while nodding in response. It was the first shelter that they would be sharing, and she was ecstatic that Yong Jie let her choose the place. Even though the house was small with only a slightly elevated wooden floor that served as the bed on the left side and a table and two chairs on the right plus the kitchen and backyard, it was enough for them.

"We'll be staying here for the entire winter," her master stated as he put down the bow and arrow on the table. "Tomorrow, I shall see if there is something I could do to earn money to increase our resources."

Da Xia remained silent, but in her mind, she was already drafting her plan for the next day. In the ancient book, she read that there would be an event at the village's marketplace a day after Yong Jie arrived. It was a competition that would be open to anyone, and she planned on winning it to repay the warrior's kindness.

"Master, I'll clean the house first," she said. "It will be better if you step out for a while until I finish."

"I'll roam around the village to familiarize myself. Tomorrow, I'll take you with me to the marketplace so you can buy the things you need."

Her face lit up at the mention of buying things since she indeed wanted to purchase some personal stuff. And Yong Jie's offer aligned with her plan of going to the marketplace, so everything was going smoothly. She bounced and clapped merrily, making the warrior smile.

"Maidens always have the same reaction when it comes to buying things," he remarked.

Da Xia tilted her head and stared at the guy teasingly. "How many girls have you accompanied in buying things?"

The warrior shrugged and adjusted the leather strap holding the sheath of his sword tied at his back. He then smirked and turned around to walk away.