20 🗡 The Bear and The Wine Thief

The forty-three-year-old emperor looked young for his age, but the annoying and despicable people pretending to be the great master behind the charcoal drawing was sucking away his youthful spirit. Raising the punishment for those scoundrels was becoming very tempting lately.

It was already late at night as he stood in the center of the Hall of Blessed Creations and stared at the charcoal drawing, a smile forming on his lips. Fascinating. No matter how many times he had seen it, it never failed to amaze him. He wondered when the great master would show himself. His fear was that the great master might have already passed away due to old age. Only an old master could possess such great talent after many years of honing his skill after all.

The head eunuch entered the hall and approached him. "Your majesty, it has been reported that Dongtian country's spies infiltrated the empire."

Another problem again. Emperor Pan Hua let out an exhausted sigh before bringing his gaze toward the eunuch. "You know what to do. Make sure to find out what they're after."

"Understood, your majesty."

"Has the crown prince been found? Where did that rascal go this time?"

"He is currently in City of Lanterns. A messenger had already been sent to summon him back to the palace."

Crown Prince Pan Wei is his eldest son to the empress. Despite the appeal of his ministers for him to take imperial consorts and concubines in order to ensure that he would have more heirs to the throne, he firmly rejected the idea and stood his ground. It was exceptionally rare for an emperor to not fill his rear palace with beautiful women, but Emperor Pan Hua loved the empress dearly. It was partly the reason why the charcoal drawing appealed to him so much. He could feel the tenderness and bond between the couple depicted in the drawing.

"Your majesty, Minister Su Kun from the Ministry of Rites is requesting your audience."

"Tell him I'm sleeping," he grumbled. Why would he want to entertain a guest late at night? He was already exhausted from all the scoundrels who claimed to be the great master.

"Forgive this humble servant, your majesty. The minister had already been informed that your majesty is still awake."

"Then tell him I ran away."

"The minister is already outside, your majesty."

"You..." He shut his eyes momentarily and shook his head. "Why did you let him in?"

"Your majesty, the reason for this humble servant's audacity will be justified after seeing what the minister brought with him."

Even if the head eunuch's head was bowed down, the emperor saw the mysterious smile at the corners of his lips, which piqued his curiosity.

"Very well. Let him in."

Minister Su Kun scurried toward the emperor as soon as he was summoned inside. The old man's face and neck were beet red from excitement, his eyes sparkling with glee. The emperor was confused as to what the urgent matter might be for the minister to seek his audience late at night, but he kept his silence.

"Your majesty, this humble servant...this old one..." Minister Su Kun couldn't form a coherent sentence while presenting the scroll that he brought with him. The emperor nodded at the head eunuch, and the servant hastily received the scroll and handed it to him.

When Emperor Pan Hua spread the scroll, the amazement and delight that lit his face was indescribable. It was another charcoal drawing from the great master! The couple was depicted again in the drawing, showing the two as they did the sword dance amidst the falling snow. Just like before, only their backs were shown, but the image and scenery that the great master portrayed were breathtaking.