3. Newborn

Nandini asked Navya to have her dinner and thanked her for being there when she was busy getting settled in the outhouse. Her father had asked a hundred questions as expected.

Why are you working as a Nanny?

Even being a B.E graduate why are you doing this job?

Leaving all house why this mansion?

   Nandini huffed taking the milk bottle of Ayush and feeding him in the process. Ayush latched on to the source drinking as fast as he can. 

   A smile graced Nandini to see the infant latch on to the bottle. If she knew he was this hungry then she would have arrived early.

    Mrs Malhotra was kind enough to send her maids and some servants to pick her things up from the previous house.

     Even though her father was not happy with her job but she convinced about her taking care of him. She knew having the baby is a challenge for her to take care of both as her father was in a wheelchair.

     The watchman was generous enough to have an eye on her father to check him regularly every hour and also the CCTV which she brought from her home where she could have an eye on him.

     Finally, when Ayush finished his bottle she made him burp which didn't take more than 15 minutes. When she laid him on the bed she decided to collect all the toys which he was playing with on the floor mat.

     She was about to pick the toy lying near the door when she saw two feet standing in front of her. When she saw the man looking at who looked like a greek god himself, she gulped.

     If she thought Karthik. Aryan is handsome then she should have seen the man in front of her. A chiselled jaw with the black iris matching his mother and a mole just above his mouth on fair skin stood out like a star in the blanket of sky.

Manik: I need to have a talk with you

Nandini: Shhhhh

    Manik had almost cringed of being careless but he had other plans to do like warn the new Nanny.

    Nandini gestured him to go.

    Manik didn't get what she was saying. Finally, she typed what she wanted to say on her mobile and showed it to Manik.

    Manik nodded, Nandini took it as approval and did her job.

    Manik was Manik who don't take orders from others. He watched how carefully she kept all the toys in a box which she collected just moments ago.

    Even though some toys were still lying on the floor but she decided to go to his nephew. He was about to warn her that Ayush is a light sleeper but Nandini was making the pillow walls around him.

    Manik was amazed as well as impressed by the gesture. Till the time Ayush was living with them, there were many Nannies who worked with them temporarily but no one did what Nandini did today.

    After making the wall Nandini came out switching on the baby monitor with a remote in her hand. After gesturing to Manik to go ahead she closed the door behind her.

Manik: Let's have the talk in my study.

    Nandini meekly nodded at the man who just wore a loose T-shirt and track pant but looked as if straight from the magazine.

    Manik and Nandini entered the study room which again looked similar to Ayush's room. The only difference was there were a table, couch and some air filter plants.

      When she looked at her left she stifled a gasp seeing the view of the garden she never saw. With the large glass doors for a window, she saw how amazing the garden along with a large pool with lights around it, illuminating some sceneries around.

Manik: Have a seat, Miss....?

     He deliberately acted like forgetting her name.

Nandini: Nandini, Nandini. Murthy sir.

    Manik inwardly groaned at the mention of sir. Did he look so old? or Bossy? Manik rolled his eyes at the naming of sir.

    Nandini knew better than to anger the man in front of her. So she quickly came up with a new Name.

Nandini: Mr Malhotra?

     Manik wanted to stomp his leg. Every girl he met either flirted or seduced except Navya but now the list has another name. For the first time, he wanted to be seduced by the lady in front of him. 'What the heck are you thinking?'

     Manik closed his eyes taking deep breaths. Manik reasoned it as a lack of attention as everywhere he received that, especially from the opposite gender.

     Even though he complained about the ladies bugging him, he also secretly loved it. 'Manik focus on the girl in front of you!'

Manik: Manik is fine Miss. Murthy.

     Nandini just nodded. 'just nodded' at him. Manik wanted her to say the same thing. 'Manik even you can call me Nandini ' Manik just sighed, I think he was thinking something unexpected.

Manik: Please have a seat, Miss Murthy

    Manik went to his table where he had a secret recorder placed under his table. Even though Nandini looked innocent, didn't seduce him and he may have a tiny winy crush on her but she is the Nanny of his nephew.

    Manik wanted to have a background check on Nandini.

Manik: I am sorry I am taking your time but I have to ensure Ayush's safety so I will ask some personal as well as professional questions.

    Manik came to his arrogant business avatar when he came for interrogation or information collection.

     To his surprise, Nandini nodded again. Manik had to question himself again about looking like a beast.

Manik: Where are you from?

Nandini: I was born and brought up in Mangalore but did my graduation in Mumbai.

Manik: May I know the reason?

Nandini: At the time of my high school graduation, I lost my mother. To have a change in environment, Appa and I moved to Mumbai.

    Manik's face softened at the death of Nandini's mother. The death of his brother and the second mother like sister-in-law made him empathize with Nandini.

Manik: Sorry to hear about that. If you want we can continue tomorrow?

    Nandini was surprised at the softened face and his gesture. 'He is not bad as I thought him to be '

Nandini: It's ok. Let's get this over with.

Manik: In what field did you graduate?

Nandini: I am a software Engineer.

Manik: There are many companies and opportunities for Engineers, then why are you a Nanny? Is it because you couldn't qualify for a job?

    Manik wanted to show he is not lenient so with a smirk on his face he decided to hit her spot. Nandini was reminded of her past. If Manik decided to make her upset then he had succeeded in doing that.

Nandini: I was recruited for Microsoft for 14 LPA but I rejected that offer and started my startup. Everything went smoothly and profits were high but when my partner kicked me from my own company I decided to do the job. 

     Nandini took a break and drank the water which was kept on the table.

Nandini: At the same time my father met an accident in which he had to stay in a wheelchair. I had two things as an option, to look after my father and my career. I decided to comprise my career. 

     Manik cursed himself for being insensitive. He decided to investigate further with the help of his friend.

Manik: You may leave. Thank you for your time and sorry for making you upset.

    Nandini again nodded and went away without saying a single word.