5. glad to be unhappy

"Unrequited love's a bore. And I've got it pretty bad."

//

Yoongi lies in bed after waking up, kicking away his sheets as he tilts his head to crack his neck in relief. he aches in slight pain, hand slapping over to his side table to grab his pack of cigarettes.

still half awake, the young man fits a cigarette into his mouth and takes his first puff of the day. this... this is what he needs, nothing else. no matter what his heart thinks, cigarettes will save him.

Yoongi holds the cigarette in between his lips, free hands now grabbing his landline phone as he lays in his bedroom. he spreads out his legs, further over the sheets as he rings his loyal friend.

"Taehyung." Yoongi clears his throat, smoking up at the ceiling.

Taehyung doesn't say Yoongi's name like the older expected. a sudden, dull ache forms in his chest and he just woke up. "what's on the agenda today?" Taehyung asks a question instead.

Yoongi feels a mixture of feelings–more than he usually does. he hasn't even see his best friend today and he's already pissed off. "whatever the fuck you want." he hangs up the phone, smoking more nicotine into his lungs.

Yoongi steps out of bed, throwing off his sheets even more as his bare feed pad along the murky carpet. he steps into the shower shortly after, water spritzing over his heated body. steam covers the windows, foam smooths over his body and he closes his eyes. he thinks about Taehyung's deep voice and how he completely shifted his mood, fuck him– he thinks and leans against the shower glass, hand travelling downwards as he starts his day off with his second usual task of pleasuring himself.

Yoongi, minutes later, is dressed in a flannel suit. after picking out a formal outfit from his closet, he shakes his head for his black, frizzed curls to fall into place. he doesn't bother to take another glance, adding a chain to his trouser pockets before slipping into leather loafers.

he heads out of his apartment, making his way to the bottom. the lobby staff greet him briefly and he waves, exiting with a fresh mindset and a new cigarette. he'll smoke one for Taehyung too– they both have the same ugly habits.

Yoongi shakes his head again, clearing his thoughts of Taehyung before twisting his free hand. he hears the cracks in his wrist and hand before moving along the occupied streets of New York. they seem to greet him back in little ways like the construction work he nearly fell into, a stranger complimenting his suit and him spotting a woman out of his league.

she smiles.

he grins in delight, tongue swiping over his bottom lip– she finds him attractive, it makes him smirk even more before he settles with a wink at the passing lady.

Yoongi stops in his fast tracks, eyes distracted by the sight of the newspaper. the headline is once again focusing on the worldly affairs of the world. he stands in front of the store, choosing to read what he can from the front page.

his hands remain in his blazer pockets, teeth biting the inside of his cheek before surprise hits his body. his best friend Taehyung grips him from behind, one hand squeezing his waist.

Yoongi recognises his touch, turning his face to the side to see Taehyung's boxy smile. he doesn't smile back but he feels refreshed. "hello my friend. you ready to get on with our day?"